Browncoats, Star Wars Smugglers, Shiny Celebs, and Oooo John Schneider! (Phoenix Comicon 2010, Part 5)

Written by Denise Gary

Shall we just start off with this?

John Schneider
John Schneider © Bruce Matsunaga

Oh yes, John Schneider – he was the talk of multitudes of ladies at Phoenix Comicon!  They floated away from his table on clouds, giggling with broad smiles playing upon their faces.  Of course, I am much too dignified to be affected in such a way.  I talked to Mr. Schneider in a completely calm manner, exuding confidence and authority. . . . Yeah, let’s move on to some of the other stars.  All were incredibly gracious toward Kids Need to Read, signing a gorgeous lithograph of the headlining convention stars created by artist Jason Palmer.  Jason has always been wonderful to Kids Need to Read and we appreciate his generous gift to the foundation.  We also thank the ever-thoughtful Mike Dougherty for procuring this item for us to have signed!  I must add that because of my involvement with childhood literacy, it was a pleasure to meet and shake hands with the extremely warm LeVar Burton.

Felicia Day, Wil Wheaton, LeVar Burton, and James Marsters
Clockwise from Top Left: Felicia Day, Wil Wheaton, James Marsters, and LeVar Burton © Bruce Matsunaga

Several stars signed two Rock Band guitars used during Wil Wheaton’s Celebrity Rock Band event and at the Kids Need to Read Geek Prom.  We are most grateful to Phoenix Comicon for donating these guitars to KNTR for our auctions.

Debbie Brown and Wil Wheaton
Debbie Brown holds a Rock Band guitar while Wil Wheaton signs it for KNTR. © Bruce Matsunaga

Did I mention John Schneider?

John Schneider 2
© Bruce Matsunaga

Thursday Preview Night found us meeting up and having good fun with some of our Browncoats: Redemption buddies.  Michael Dougherty, Heather Fagan, Dan Sheehan, Logan Liskovec, and Sabrina Maizland all came to experience Phoenix Comicon for the first time.

Michael Dougherty and Denise Gary
Top: Michael Dougherty © Denise Gary; Bottom: Michael Dougherty and Denise Gary © Lisa Richins

These amazing folks assisted Kids Need to Read the entire weekend, both at the booth and at the Geek Prom.  I can never express enough gratitude for all they do for KNTR.

Sabrina Maizland, Heather Fagan, and Tina Worley
Sabrina Maizland and Heather Fagan of Browncoats: Redemption are joined by KNTR volunteer Tina Worley. © Denise Gary

Marco Regalado of Pop Culture Paradise came bearing loads of geeky gifts for KNTR.  (We appreciate how good you are to us, Marco!)

Marco Regalado
Marco Regalado © Denise Gary

I had a bunch of fun sitting in on the Browncoats: Redemption panel on Friday.  The room was full of people anxious for news about this charitable film project, whose storyline picks up after the end of the movie, Serenity.  The film will be released on DVD at Dragon*Con 2010.  Kids Need to Read is a partial beneficiary of the project, along with several other charities with ties to Joss Whedon and Firefly/Serenity actors.  Of course, Kids Need to Read’s connection is due to one of our founders, Nathan Fillion, whom I jokingly referred to as “just some guy” during the panel.  (See video.)

Browncoats: Redemption Panel
Top: Denise Gary © Heather Fagan; Bottom: Casey Shultz, Denise Gary, Sabrina Maizland, Heather Fagan, and Michael Dougherty © Robert Tabb

The super cool Geek Arch arrived in the KNTR booth on Saturday morning.  This incredible structure glorifying all that is Geek was created by KNTR volunteer Roxanne Rousakis and her co-worker Andrew Tans.

Aly and Sherrie
KNTR Volunteers Alicia Summers and Sherrie Miller © Bruce Matsunaga

Naturally, it attracted like kind!

PacMan under the Geek Arch
© Bruce Matsunaga

The Arizona Browncoats conducted a fun Browncoat Scavenger Hunt on Saturday afternoon, the proceeds of which benefited KNTR.  After donating $5 to play, folks went off in search of specially marked people, who held secret letters.

Browncoat Scavenger Hunt Participants
© Bruce Matsunaga

Supporting KNTR
© Bruce Matsunaga

Once all of the letters were gathered, they had to be arranged into a special Browncoat phrase.  There were lots of participants, but Cailin was the first to decode the phrase.  She won a package filled with signed Firefly/Serenity memorabilia donated by Browncoats: Redemption, Bookmans, and KNTR.  Way to go, Cailin!

Winner of the Browncoat Scavenger Hunt
© Alicia Summers

We thank the Arizona Browncoats for conducting this shiny fundraiser for KNTR, which earned $75 for the foundation.   I would like to add a special shout out to David Richins for organizing the romp!

David Richins, Jennifer Anderson, and Patrick Kelch
Arizona Browncoats David Richins, Jennifer Anderson, and Patrick Kelch © Bruce Matsunaga

Several of the Arizona Browncoats lent KNTR a hand in the booth, including the extremely dapper Raymond Wolfe.  (Thanks so much Raymond, David and Lisa Richins, Jennifer Anderson, and Brian Esterson!)

Raymond Wolfe, Brian Esterson, and Browncoats
Top Left: Raymond Wolfe © Heather Fagan; Top Right: Brian Esterson © Bruce Matsunaga; Bottom (Left to Right): Patrick Kelch, Caylee Hoover, Heather Fagan, Raymond Wolfe, Michael Dougherty, Jennifer Anderson, and Lisa Richins © Lisa Richins

Saturday and Sunday afternoons featured the magic of Steven Riley, who entertained young and old alike with his hilarious performances on behalf of KNTR.  (Please see Surviving Riley!  Yukking it Up for Kids!)

Steven Riley Yosemite Bear Tale 2
Steven Riley © Bruce Matsunaga

Saturday evening brought our signature fundraising party, the Kids Need to Read Geek Prom.  The sold-out event was sponsored by the wonderful folks at Bookmans.  We were also provided with much support from Phoenix Comicon.  (Please see Geekdom Floods the Kids Need to Read Geek Prom, Felicia Day and Wil Wheaton Preside over Geeky-anity at the Kids Need to Read Geek Prom, and How to Dress in Style at a Geek Prom!

Welcome to the Kids Need to Read Geek Prom!
© Bruce Matsunaga

The Star Wars Pavilion presented the Smuggler’s Run fundraiser for KNTR on Sunday afternoon.  For a $5 contribution, players had to retrieve special items from participating booths in the Exhibitor’s Hall, all the while avoiding arrest by Imperial Troopers and Mandalorian Bounty Hunters.  KNTR gave out special literacy Star Wars buttons, in keeping with the collectible buttons we have created and given away since our inception.  I found myself arrested by a Mando Merc and thrown in jail.  Not to be defeated, I pick-pocketed a very nice pen from the jailer holding me captive.

Denise in Star Wars Smuggler's Jail
© Robert Tabb

Thanks so much to the five Star Wars groups who conducted this merriment for us.  The boisterous benefit raised $340 for KNTR.  I would like to express my deepest appreciation to Jen and Lee Palmer for their warm welcome, Thomas Boyer who worked so hard to construct the jail, my pal Lance Dworshak for his continuous support for KNTR, David Littleton for constructing the awesome Droid donation jar for our booth, Mike Little for his beautiful Smuggler’s Run art work, as well as Carol Duckworth and Dustin Dial.  I had a great time and miss y’all’s Sunday meetings!

Feeding the Droid
Feeding the Donation Droid! © Bruce Matsunaga

As always, the Kids Need to Read staff and volunteers found their way to fun and camaraderie amidst all of their very hard work.  Thank you for everything you give to KNTR!

KNTR Staff and Volunteers
Top: Tina Worley © Heather Fagan; Alicia Summers and Sherrie Miller © Bruce Matsunaga; Middle: Marianne Luskey © Bruce Matsunaga; Bottom © Michael Dougherty

Of course, there is always time for kids and books!  Phoenix Comicon places an emphasis on programming for children, and always features many children’s and young adult authors.

Sherrie Miller and Family
Sherrie Miller and Family © Bruce Matsunaga

I cannot use enough superlatives to describe our super fantastic event photographer, Bruce Matsunaga, pictured here in what I believe to be his favorite photo of the convention.  (Thanks so much, Bruce!)

Bruce Matsunaga and Felicia Day
Photographer Bruce Matsunaga poses with Felicia Day © Bruce Matsunaga

Did I show this picture already?

John Schneider
© Bruce Matsunaga

Video of the Fashion Geektacular and Crowning

Bookmans Music Video of the Kids Need to Read Geek Prom

Share the Post:

Related Posts

Tis the Season

Once Upon a Time… It was a dark and stormy night… This is the tale that was told to me…: Throughout history, winter has been a season rich in the tradition of storytelling, serving as a captivating blend of entertainment and education for individuals of all ages. This enduring legacy is exemplified in Beowulf, one of the oldest recorded stories, where the narrative opens with a compelling command, “Listen! we have heard of the might of the kings,”. No matter the opening line, the timeless power and importance of story and literacy is in its ability to connect generations and communities through the ages. 

Read More

With a Thankful Heart

The generous contributions from our supporters have made a significant impact on our mission, and we want to take a moment to express our heartfelt thanks.

Read More