Geekdom Floods the Kids Need to Read Geek Prom (Phoenix Comicon 2010, Part 1)

Written by Denise Gary

Welcome to the Kids Need to Read Geek Prom! © Bruce Matsunaga

Whoa!  Geek out and they shall come!  Never did we dream the first annual Kids Need to Read Geek Prom that we planned for Phoenix Comicon, along with our sponsors, Bookmans, would turn into a major event at the convention.  We had mightily hoped for 200 geeks, dweebs, and nerds. We wound up with a room filled to capacity at 400 and sadly had to turn away at least 200 more.  But weep not, for more awesome geekiness awaits next year, when we will have a larger ballroom to accommodate the many fun-loving folks who want to party in geek-tastic style.  Mark your calendars now for Phoenix Comicon, Memorial Day weekend, 2011.  Here are the first pictures we have ready, but there will be many more pictures to come.

Your Hosts Felicia Day, Denise Gary, and Wil Wheaton
Your Hosts Felicia Day, Denise Gary, and Wil Wheaton © Bruce Matsunaga

I had an unbelievably fun time hosting the celebration, along with special guests Felicia Day and Wil Wheaton.  The enthusiasm of the party-goers was infectious!  The event was emceed by one of our favorite podcasters, Casey Shultz of SciFi Surplus, and began with the music of No Big Deal, a band of high school students whose talent is a big deal.  My favorite part of their set was when they played the theme song from Pokemon.

Wil Wheaton and Felicia Day Under the Geek Arch
© Ron Shelton

While the music was playing, people were having their pictures made under the Geek Arch, a spectacular monument to Geek-o-rama!  The arch paid tribute to classic gaming and electronic geekery; even the flowers were made out of computer wire.

Felicia Day and Wil Wheaton on Stage at the KNTR Geek Prom
© Bruce Matsunaga

Of course, Felicia and Wil are the ultimate monarchs of Geekininity and the crowd went wild when they came out to dance to the music of our DJ, Michael “Mr. Man” Dougherty.  Where else could you see Felicia dancing with someone dressed as Codex, her character in The Guild, but at the Kids Need to Read Geek Prom?  It was awesome!

James Owen, Felicia Day, and Wil Wheaton judge the Fashion Geektacular.
James Owen, Felicia Day, and Wil Wheaton judge the Fashion Geektacular. © Bruce Matsunaga

The Fashion Geektacular was judged by Felicia, Wil, and suave author, James Owen.  Be sure to read James’ account of the evening, including how he came to the prom dressed as Rick Castle’s younger brother, Nick, and raised funds for KNTR by drawing sketches of Nikki Heat for prom attendees.

Joe and Drea Valdez work the catwalk in the Geektacular.
Joe and Drea Valdez work the catwalk in the Geektacular. © Bruce Matsunaga

Geektacular contestants paraded up and down the catwalk showing off their Geek finery as “I’m Too Sexy” played in the background.

Vulcan Lady in Fashion Geektacular
© Ron Shelton

One of my favorites was this Vulcan lady.  So cool!  I also liked the little girl with the unibrow.  So funny!  There were so many great costumes.  You can see them all in this video of the Fashion Geektacular at the KNTR YouTube site.

The Royal Geek Court is serenaded to "Geeks of America" by Steven Riley.
The Royal Geek Court is lauded by Steven Riley singing “Geeks of America.” © Bruce Matsunaga

The Geek Prom King, Queen, Prince, and Princess were all given prize packages, the King and Queen were crowned and sashed, and they were all serenaded by author Steven Riley singing “Geeks of America.”  Joe Valdez was crowned Geek King, his wife Drea was pronounced Geek Queen, the mysterious Miss Chess was named Geek Princess, and the fictional Sheldon Cooper was dubbed Geek Prince.  Thank you to Bookmans, Office Max – Springs Power Center, The Book Band Company, Hero Comics, and Samurai Comics for contributing to the prize packages.

Afterward, another high school band by the name of Braincage performed and they played their hearts out.  Door prizes were awarded and other giveaways were thrown out to the audience by Browncoats: Redemption director Michael Dougherty, Browncoats: Redemption star Heather Fagan, and me.  Thank you to all who contributed prizes, including Best Buy – Superstition Springs, Pop Culture Paradise, SpazDog Comics, and Harmonix.

Geek Dance-off Contestant
© Bruce Matsunaga

The Geek Dance-off contestants danced to the music of Rock Band being played by prom attendees.  (Hey, I think this guy (above) is the same one who arrested me Sunday during the Star Wars Smuggler’s Run!)

Another Geek Dance-off Contestant
© Bruce Matsunaga

ACK! OUCH! OW!

Awarding Christie Cookies to the Winners of the Geek Dance-off © Bruce Matsunaga

Judges for the Geek Dance-off were KNTR volunteer Alicia Summers, Amber Brosovich, and Arizona Browncoats member Raymond Wolfe.  Each contestant was awarded a tin of delectable Christie Cookies for a specific category.  Thank you to Don Brennan for donating the geek-a-licious prizes.

Lori Whipple of Bookmans
Lori Whipple of Bookmans © Lisa Richins

I would like to give a gigantic heart to Lori Whipple of Bookmans for being such a joy to work with in putting together the Geek Prom.  Thank you so much for providing the decorations, the banner, the food, and the goody bags.  The Geek Prom logo is a masterpiece!  It is because of you and the generosity of Bookmans that all of the funds raised at the Geek Prom will be used to inspire disadvantaged children to discover a love of reading, while building their self-respect and awareness of social responsibility.  Thanks also to Lisa Richins and Raymond Wolfe of the Arizona Browncoats for pitching in to help Lori, along with Yvette and Meg of Bookmans.  Watch Bookmans’ very cool music video of the Kids Need to Read Geek Prom.

Creators of the Geek Arch, Andrew Tans and Roxanne Rousakis
Creators of the Geek Arch, Andrew Tans and Roxanne Rousakis © Ron Shelton

Thank you so much Andrew Tans and Roxanne Rousakis for creating the amazing edifice that is the Geek Arch!  Soon, it will light up the doorway to the KNTR office.

There are so many more to thank.  There can never be enough praise heaped upon the folks at Phoenix Comicon for all they have done for Kids Need to Read.  Thank you for taking a chance on our Geek Prom and trusting us to pull it off.  Matt Solberg, Linda Zaruches, Scott Haag, and Anabel Martinez – bless you all for everything you gave to make this event happen.  But most of all, I would like to thank Joe “Joeku” Boudrie for his endless patience, kindness, and support throughout the process.  Integrity walks the earth in the form of these people.

Casey Shultz, thank you for coming down and helping me tie the loose ends together, and for serving as our emcee. You are incredibly kind and selfless!

Steven Riley, Felicia Day, James Owen, and Wil Wheaton
Steven Riley, Felicia Day, James Owen, and Wil Wheaton © Bruce Matsunaga

We offer tons of thanks to our special guests Felicia Day, Wil Wheaton, James Owen, and Steven Riley.  We are so grateful that you chose to attend our humble party, but more so, we appreciate you so much for geeking out and having a good time with everyone.  Steven, thank you for singing our Geek anthem.  You were wonderful!  James, thanks for sharing your artistic talent to support KNTR.  Rick has nothing on Nick!  Thank you all for being such great friends to KNTR!

Thank you Rock N Roll High School for working with kids to develop their musical talent.  To the kids of No Big Deal and Braincage, keep on rocking!  Thank you for coming and giving your all for Kids Need to Read.  Your hearts are in the right place.  And No Big Deal, yeah, I won’t try to be hipster again!  HeeHeeHee!

It is impossible to overstate how much gratitude I feel toward Mike Dougherty, Heather Fagan, Dan Sheehan, Logan Liskovec, and Sabrina Maizland.  Thank you all for stepping in to man the doors and the crowd, and thank you Mike for offering your skills as our DJ.  You always make everything more fun with your exuberant personality.  But most of all, I thank you all for always putting the charities that your project supports first.  Browncoats: Redemption is more than a film; it is a journey of goodwill.  Much love to you all.

There are no words to express the affection I feel for Debbie Brown and the extraordinary Kids Need to Read volunteers.  They work so hard for very little return.  For assisting at the Geek Prom, I offer my deepest, heartfelt thanks to Erin Casey, Michael Emerson, Marianne Luskey, Bruce Matsunaga, Sherrie Miller, Roxanne Rousakis, Danie Silvera, Jennifer Spangler, Alicia Summers, Robert Tabb, Carol Tabb, Tina Worley, and Steve Gary, as well as Debbie Brown.  Wonderfulness dwells within the hearts of these people.

Redemption Crew, AZ Browncoats, and KNTR Volunteers
Redemption Crew, AZ Browncoats, and KNTR Volunteers © Michael Dougherty

Share the Post:

Related Posts

Tis the Season

Once Upon a Time… It was a dark and stormy night… This is the tale that was told to me…: Throughout history, winter has been a season rich in the tradition of storytelling, serving as a captivating blend of entertainment and education for individuals of all ages. This enduring legacy is exemplified in Beowulf, one of the oldest recorded stories, where the narrative opens with a compelling command, “Listen! we have heard of the might of the kings,”. No matter the opening line, the timeless power and importance of story and literacy is in its ability to connect generations and communities through the ages. 

Read More

With a Thankful Heart

The generous contributions from our supporters have made a significant impact on our mission, and we want to take a moment to express our heartfelt thanks.

Read More