MICHAEL’S BOOK BYTES: An Interview with Dean Lorey

Book Bytes Banner

Dean Lorey, author of Nightmare Academy, visited Changing Hands Bookstore in Tempe, Arizona on March 8, 2008. He is also a screenwriter and an actor, writing and appearing in such movies as:

Major Payne
Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday
My Boyfriend’s Back

His book, Nightmare Academy, revolves around a 13-year-old named Charlie Benjamin. He is despised by everyone all the time, because every time he sleeps, he opens up a portal to the Nether, a land where all the monsters are. Luckily, there is “The Nightmare Division,” which fights the monsters from the Nether.

Dean Lorey 1
Lorey reading an excerpt from his book.

For those of you who don’t like to read, I feel totally sorry for you. But there is a glimpse of hope! Lorey said that Universal Films purchased the film rights to the book, so it will be in theaters! Yay!

Here are some of the monsters from the book:

Dean Lorey 2
Please, don’t mind the lady in the back. Sorry for the bad quality, too!

Dean Lorey 3
As you can see, these things have something to do with energy.

Dean Lorey 4
In the Nether, you have ranks. This is a Class 3 (by its eyes) coming up to a Class 4.

Dean Lorey 5
As you can see, this is a Medusa-type monster.

Dean Lorey 6
This one just speaks for itself!

Dean Lorey 7
This is another monster. Can you see 13-year-old Charlie there?

Dean Lorey 8
Hey look! There’s Charlie again!

Dean Lorey 9
This monster has a tuning fork as a tongue. Produces beautiful music until it crescendos.

Dean Lorey 10
And here’s what the first book’s cover looks like as it was released in the UK.

Q&A:

Q: What is your favorite part in the book?

A: I don’t know. I have a lot of favorite parts, but I really like the chapter called “The Trout of Truth” (Part II, Chapter 8, pg. 119) and it is this gigantic trout, who lives in the Nether, and it’s kind of like a lie detector. You walk on a stepping stone in the middle of a lake and you declare something. If what you say is true, he’ll leave you alone. If what you say is a lie … (I am leaving this part out! Go read the book to find out what happens!)

Q: How did you create Charlie?

A: Charlie came from a lot of sources. When I was a kid, I was always the shortest kid in school, and I got picked on all the time. So, that feeling of being picked on partially inspired Charlie. I’m also monster-crazy.

Q: Is the movie going to be live-action or animated?

A: The movie right now is going to be live-action, and it’s due to come out summer of 2010.

Q: Will you be inviting me to the world premiere?

A: Send me an e-mail and remind me! If anybody wants to e-mail me, it’s dean@deanlorey.com.

Q: What is the title of the first, second, and third books?

A: The first book right now is called Nightmare Academy, but during the release of Book Two, it’ll gain a subtitle and be called Nightmare Academy: Monster Hunters. Book Two will be called Nightmare Academy: Monster Madness, and Book Three will be called Nightmare Academy: Monster War.

Q: What is your favorite book, other than your book?

A: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. James and the Giant Peach. I’m also a big fan of Stephen King.

Q: If the Nightmare Academy series gets popular enough, do you think you will be continuing the series?

A: Yeah. I have five books planned so far. Book one is already out. I finished book two, it’ll be out in September. I’m writing book three right now, and I’ll be working on the rest of the ones as soon as I finish three.

Q: Do you plan to start a new series?

A: Yes, I do. I have a couple of new series in mind. I don’t want to say anything about them right now, but my main goal is to finish the Nightmare Academy series right now.

Q: Is your new series going to be about monsters?

A: Yeah. I love monsters, and the new series is definitely about monsters.

Q: Have you ever worked on a book with another author?

A: Not on a book. I have with screenplays, but not on a book.

Nightmare Bunny . . . Perfect for Easter!
(No cooking necessary!)

Ingredients:
1 chocolate bunny (hollowed)
A lot of Marshmallow Peeps
A lot more of jelly beans!
1 Tbsp of powdered sugar

WARNING: Do not try this at home! Sweets before bedtime give you nightmares!

Directions:
Make a hole in the Chocolate bunny big enough for Peeps to fit in.
Put 1 Tbsp of powdered sugar in the bunny, then shake to get inside coated. Dump excess out.
Make a 1/2″ incision to the bottom of the Peep. Then, insert 2-3 jellybeans.
Then, insert that into the chocolate bunny.
Continue doing this until bunny is full.
Sprinkle excess powdered sugar all over the outside of the bunny too. >:- )

About Michael

Michael is a sixth grade student who loves to read and cook. That’s right, cook! He joined Kids Need to Read because he thought that it would be a great opportunity to help everyone open up to literacy. “When you read, you read. When you watch TV, you watch TV. When you create a story, you open your mind.” — Michael

Book Bytes Banner

Share the Post:

Related Posts

Tis the Season

Once Upon a Time… It was a dark and stormy night… This is the tale that was told to me…: Throughout history, winter has been a season rich in the tradition of storytelling, serving as a captivating blend of entertainment and education for individuals of all ages. This enduring legacy is exemplified in Beowulf, one of the oldest recorded stories, where the narrative opens with a compelling command, “Listen! we have heard of the might of the kings,”. No matter the opening line, the timeless power and importance of story and literacy is in its ability to connect generations and communities through the ages. 

Read More

With a Thankful Heart

The generous contributions from our supporters have made a significant impact on our mission, and we want to take a moment to express our heartfelt thanks.

Read More