KNTR Geek Prom 2011: Director’s Choice Awards

Written by Denise Gary

© Bruce Matsunaga

There are moments in time when people should be allowed to indulge themselves. The KNTR Geek Prom at Phoenix Comicon 2011 was just such a moment. Sponsored by Bookmans, the event benefiting Kids Need to Read was “home” to a thousand Geeks for over four hours of blissful Geekebration. They came wearing a myriad of Geekish costumes – nerds, superheroes, sci-fi idols, video game avatars, and comic book characters. The Hyatt ballroom was bursting with the exhilaration of the party attendees, some of whom told us they had the best time of their entire lives. It was one of the best nights of my life, too, so please allow me to indulge myself by sharing my favorite photos, costumes, and moments with our supporters.

KNTR Geek Prom 2011 Director’s Choice Awards

Favorite Geek Female: This lady was a comic book illustration come to life! Bold, colorful, and highly creative, I found myself pondering how long it took her to paint the dots on her face.

© Joe Abbruscato

© Bruce Matsunaga

Favorite Geek Male: This guy had to be the personification of Geek, Dweeb, Dork, and Nerd all rolled into one. He stayed true to character the entire evening, even purposely tripping and falling on his face during the Fashion Geektacular! And look, his underwear is caught in his fly! Best of all, his progeny most definitely shared his Geek genes!

© Bruce Matsunaga

© Ash Rhodes

Favorite Geek Couple: Oh My Geek, this couple is a match made in Geek Heaven! Look at how he tucks his tie underneath his belt! Look at her gigantic satin bow! Where did he find those astonishing pants? Simply adorable!

© Bruce Matsunaga

© Darby Simon

Favorite Non-human Geek Couple: Apparently, critters can Geek out, too. This irresistible couple shared Muskrat Love under the Geek Arch.

© Eric Fiallos

Geekiest Jock: This Avenger throws t-shirts with superhuman finesse.

© Bruce Matsunaga

Geekiest Use of a Superhero Accessory: Captain America’s shield became a nifty t-shirt holder during the t-shirt toss. It subsequently became another proud Geek’s accessory while Captain America danced the “Time Warp.”

© Bruce Matsunaga

© Darby Simon

Best Geek Audience Participation: There were many Geektastic moments of audience participation, such as dancing to “Thriller” . . .

© Devon Christopher Adams

. . . and rallying around the Geek Dance-off, . . .

© Joe Abbruscato

. . . but there was no group moment more awesome than everyone singing and dancing to “Time Warp” with the Arizona Avengers.

© Darby Simon

© Bruce Matsunaga

© Darby Simon

Geekiest Love Moment: Baby, baby, falling in love . . . the love was definitely being shared by this beautiful Geek couple.

© Joe Abbruscato

Geekiest Generation Gap: The youngest Geek gave us a glimpse of early Geekhood formation as he and Mickey Mouse checked out the hardware being packed by a formidable Stormtrooper. He was crowned Geek Prince later in the evening, with Mickey still in tow.

© Joe Abbruscato

Best Geek Hair: This couple wore color-coordinated, awe-inspiring Geek coifs. Their hot pink tresses were accessorized with hot pink glasses tape, pink attire, and head graffiti (“Fight like a Girl”).

Most Mannerly Geek: This Geek borrowed a bystander’s hat during the Geek Dance-off, then respectfully returned it to its owner when he was finished.

© Bruce Matsunaga

© Bruce Matsunaga

Geekiest Alien Creature Moment: How many times have you had a chance to search for Luke Skywalker inside a Tauntaun? Auctioneer PJ Haarsma dug into the innards of a ThinkGeek Tauntaun sleeping bag during the live auction.

© Bruce Matsunaga

Geekiest Pick-up Moment: A zombie delivers a surreal “Call Me” in his quest for fresh brains.

© Bruce Matsunaga

Sweetest Geek-lebrity: Actor Paul McGillion cheerfully took to the stage to chat with the Geekees and then initiated a thumbs up for the camera. Paul gets extra kudos for uttering the word “sexy” in a Scottish accent while describing the Geek party-goers!

© Bruce Matsunaga

© Bruce Matsunaga

Most Courageous Geeks: This Geek Ghostbuster and Erkel bravely volunteered to take the stage when we called for two Geeks to dance to “Two Tribes” with me. They rocked the house!

© Bruce Matsunaga

Most Way Cool Geek: With hair flying, PJ Haarsma wickedly rocked his air guitar to “Living on a Prayer” while being introduced as a Fashion Geektacular judge.

© Bruce Matsunaga

The Golden Geek: Although I am not sure how he managed to walk in these pants, Robert Gary danced a very Geekish MC Hammer.

© Bruce Matsunaga

© Bruce Matsunaga

Geekiest Bert Parks Challenge: With his sequined bow tie stylishly enhancing his Transformers t-shirt, Steven Riley outlandishly takes on Bert Parks and wins with his rendition of “Geeks of America.”

Most Geekerrific Posse: Lori Whipple and the folks at Bookmans; Michael Dougherty of Browncoats: Redemption; as well as Matt Solberg, Joe Boudrie, Scott Haag, and the staff of Phoenix Comicon are the super Geeks who helped make the KNTR Geek Prom a Cinderella night for all. We are ever grateful for their kindness and support.

Bookmans Community Relations Manager Lori Whipple © Bruce Matsunaga

DJ Michael Dougherty © Bruce Matsunaga

Phoenix Comicon Music Director Scott Haag © Joe Abbruscato

Hardest Working Geeks: The KNTR volunteers made the night happen by quietly applying their usual dedicated work ethic. One of my favorite moments of the evening came when the prom attendees gave a large, unprompted round of applause to the KNTR volunteers. They sure deserved that expression of gratitude and they have my sincere appreciation, as well.

© Bruce Matsunaga

Most Geektastic Prom Attendees: What a hot room we had! Hosting the prom was easy because of the flood of enthusiasm shared by all of the costume-bedecked Geeks who came to have an awesome night. We thank you for making the KNTR Geek Prom such a huge success. See you next year!

© Bruce Matsunaga

Video: Kids Need to Read Geek Prom 2011, Sponsored by Bookmans (Part 1 of 4)

Video: Kids Need to Read Geek Prom 2011, Sponsored by Bookmans – Highlights (Part 2 of 4)

Video: Kids Need to Read Geek Prom 2011, Sponsored by Bookmans Fashion Geektacular (Part 3 of 4)

Video: Kids Need to Read Geek Prom 2011, Sponsored by Bookmans – Dance 360 (Part 4 of 4)

There are many more fantastic photographs of the KNTR Geek Prom. Enjoy them all in our galleries:

Photo Gallery: KNTR Geek Prom and Phoenix Comicon 2011

KNTR Geek Prom 2011 Acknowledgements

Sponsors: Bookmans Entertainment Exchange, Phoenix Comicon, Mojo-Bone Software Studios, ThinkGeek, Best Buy – Superstition Springs, Waldenbooks – Phoenix, Hero Comics, Pop Culture Paradise, Carol Tabb
Host: Denise Gary
DJ: Michael Dougherty
Entertainment: PJ Haarsma, Marisa Grieco Haarsma, Steven Riley, Arizona Avengers, Paul McGillion, James A. Owen, Heather Fagan, Adam Baldwin, Nathan Fillion (via phone)
Photographers: Bruce Matsunaga, Ash Rhodes, Eric Fiallos, Darby Simon, Devon Christopher Adams, Joe Abbruscato
Videographers: Big Brain Pictures
Operations: Scott Haag, Debbie Brown
Stage Assistant: Carl Wagner
KNTR Staff/Volunteers: Whitney Begley, Krista Bricker, Erin Casey, Teresa Dlouhy, Kevin Douglas, Michael Emerson, Heather Fagan, Robert Gary, Steve Gary, Rachel Hungerford, Bridget Lloyd, Jade Morgan Lloyd, Marianne Luskey, Arionna  Nielson, Daniel Sheehan, Zach Snow, Nacole Vickery, Tina Worley

More on KNTR at Phoenix Comicon 2011

Blog: KNTR Experiences Phenomenal Success at Phoenix Comicon

Blog: KNTR Founder “Arrested” and Thrown Behind Bars

Video: KNTR at Phoenix Comicon 2011

Video: KNTR 2012 Calendar Launch Party at Phoenix Comicon 2011

Video: KNTR Pwns PJ Haarsma at Phoenix Comicon 2011!

Share the Post:

Related Posts

Tis the Season

Once Upon a Time… It was a dark and stormy night… This is the tale that was told to me…: Throughout history, winter has been a season rich in the tradition of storytelling, serving as a captivating blend of entertainment and education for individuals of all ages. This enduring legacy is exemplified in Beowulf, one of the oldest recorded stories, where the narrative opens with a compelling command, “Listen! we have heard of the might of the kings,”. No matter the opening line, the timeless power and importance of story and literacy is in its ability to connect generations and communities through the ages. 

Read More

With a Thankful Heart

The generous contributions from our supporters have made a significant impact on our mission, and we want to take a moment to express our heartfelt thanks.

Read More