Books for African Refuge: Meeting the Needs of Refugee and Immigrant Children

Written by Denise Gary

A couple of years ago, I was in a frame shop having one of Marisa Grieco Haarsma’s OIO Philosophy cards framed.  This particular card expresses a beautiful message about not reacting to the negative energy of others.  When I returned to pick up the framed card, the shop owner commented that he understood the significance of the card very well.  Upon asking him why, I was treated to the gift of his incredible immigrant story, which I stayed and listened to for an hour.  When he was a young man, he had escaped from Vietnam with others in a small boat.  Robbed by pirates that roamed the sea looking for Vietnamese “boat people,” they were left to float and die without food, engine, or oars.  He was one of the lucky ones—their boat miraculously floated to the Philippines.  He eventually wound up in the United States unable to speak English and owning nothing.  He worked two jobs for less than minimum wage for years while learning how to speak and read English, until he was eventually able to afford to own the frame shop in which we were chatting.  I was moved to tears listening to his ordeal, which was filled with suffering and discrimination.  It is unbelievable to hear the first-hand account of such a story through the shared connection of a profound wisdom contained on a small card.

narcissism card
© Marisa Grieco Haarsma

The frame shop owner’s son had suffered the shame of being the child of boat people while in school.  His father had tried to impart the same lesson to his son that was contained on the OIO card that I had brought in for framing.  He taught his son not to allow his dignity to be stolen by the ignorance and cruelty of others.

I thought of my time connecting with the frame shop owner when I received a request for books from African Refuge.  Their youth support program in Staten Island, New York serves the needs of African refugee and immigrant children, some of whom have endured “war, torture, terrorism, and forced migration.”  Of primary interest to Kids Need to Read was to address Executive Director Jacob Massaquoi’s concern that many of the kids in their program were not interested in reading books, due to their low reading levels.  The books they were able to read were of little value to them intellectually.  Kids Need to Read carefully chose many low-level, high-interest books, making sure they contained relevant subject matter to these kids who have endured unusual levels of trauma and stress.  Said Massaquoi of the books:

The kids love the books; [they have] been an important part of our youth program.  Some of the kids who did not have interest in reading are now beginning to show interest in reading, because some of the stories in the books relate directly to their own settings.

Kids Need to Read also sent the younger children copies of Highlights magazine.

The framed OIO Philosophy card hangs next to my computer.  I look to it as a reminder to remove myself from negativity and unkindness.  Whether it is a Vietnamese boat person, an African child soldier, or any other immigrant searching for compassion and a peaceful, productive life; literacy will hold the key to their success and to the success of their children.  Kids Need to Read is enthusiastic to be a positive part of their lives.

Share the Post:

Related Posts

Tis the Season

Once Upon a Time… It was a dark and stormy night… This is the tale that was told to me…: Throughout history, winter has been a season rich in the tradition of storytelling, serving as a captivating blend of entertainment and education for individuals of all ages. This enduring legacy is exemplified in Beowulf, one of the oldest recorded stories, where the narrative opens with a compelling command, “Listen! we have heard of the might of the kings,”. No matter the opening line, the timeless power and importance of story and literacy is in its ability to connect generations and communities through the ages. 

Read More

With a Thankful Heart

The generous contributions from our supporters have made a significant impact on our mission, and we want to take a moment to express our heartfelt thanks.

Read More