Kids Need to Read at Icon 2008!

The Kids Need to Read Foundation would be nothing without our amazing volunteers and sponsors. Here is a report by Suze Bolduc from her weekend at Icon 33 this past November!

Halloween weekend at Icon 33!

I had another great weekend at Icon (www.iowa-icon.com) at my table for Kids Need To Read!  I was concerned that the economic problems cascading down on us would cause a dip in our donations and found out that I was VERY wrong!  The folks at Icon opened their hearts (and their wallets) to give us an astounding pile of donations — $140.  That’s over and above the silent auction and sale of Jayne hats!  We had the support of many familiar faces from OSFest and made many new friends who took loads of information about Kids Need to Read and our Holiday Store.  All in all, $350 was raised over the weekend.  And I was assured that we’d be more than welcome to come back next year!

Before I forget, thanks to the Icon folks for posting our appearance on the webpage in the lead up to the con and for their current link to KNTR on the Icon 34 website Links page!  We’ll take all the free advertising we can get.

The Jayne hats continued in their popularity and I have two more volunteers to make them, as well as many orders to fill!  I even took pictures of some people wearing the samples so that they could make holiday cards that said, “As soon as I tear this off Jayne’s head, it’s yours!  Merry Christmas!”  We’re planning a “Knit-a-thon” at Demicon in May.  I also had picked up a couple of PJ’s books that were autographed and they were very popular as well!

The Terrifyn’ Space Monkeys continue to be a great draw to the table; people just can’t resist the little devils!  Although some on a budget said they’d get an unsigned one from the KNTR eBay store.  BTW, the one I bought for my son is one of his favorite Christmas gifts and a great source of envy from one of his girlfriends.  She was ready to take it home with her!  Since her dad is the one who introduced me to Firefly, guess what she’s getting for her birthday?!

Things went very smoothly, thanks in large part to Debb’s constant support and encouragement!  My next stop on the Midwestern con circuit will be DemiCon 20 in Des Moines (www.demicon.org) in May.  Unfortunately, my nephew scheduled his wedding the same weekend as OSFest, so I’m looking for a volunteer to help me out as I can’t be in two places at once.  He and his fiancé were at Icon and some of the OSFest guys cornered them and tried to get them to change the wedding date, but alas, they wouldn’t budge.  So next year is Demicon and Icon!  Maybe I’ll even branch out as far as Kansas City or Minneapolis as I continue in my quest to support this great charity!  Here’s to a great 2009 for KNTR and all its supporters and beneficiaries!!

Everyone at KNTR would like to thank Suze for her continued support! We look forward to working with her, and all of our sponsors, in the years to come.

Share the Post:

Related Posts

Tis the Season

Once Upon a Time… It was a dark and stormy night… This is the tale that was told to me…: Throughout history, winter has been a season rich in the tradition of storytelling, serving as a captivating blend of entertainment and education for individuals of all ages. This enduring legacy is exemplified in Beowulf, one of the oldest recorded stories, where the narrative opens with a compelling command, “Listen! we have heard of the might of the kings,”. No matter the opening line, the timeless power and importance of story and literacy is in its ability to connect generations and communities through the ages. 

Read More

With a Thankful Heart

The generous contributions from our supporters have made a significant impact on our mission, and we want to take a moment to express our heartfelt thanks.

Read More