MICHAEL’S BOOK BYTES: Book Review – The Lightning Thief

Hello, you.  Hope you had a really good Halloween!  Time for another Byte!

Today’s Byte will be on The Lightning Thief.  It is the first book in the Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series written by Rick Riordan.  The story is about Percy Jackson, who discovers that his dad Poseidon (yes, the Greek god of the ocean) was accused of stealing Zeus’ lightning bolt (how one can hold a lightning bolt, I don’t know).  So, Percy has to prove that his dad didn’t steal it by finding the lightning bolt (with the help of his 2 friends).

This book was great.  A fast paced book, full of action.  It really shows that you can do anything with a little bit of help, whether it’s going into Old Man Burn’s yard and taking the baseball back, or saving your dad from being killed by his older brother.

Overall, I give this book an A- (9/10).  A good book, but, I just can’t seem to put up a better score.  I feel like this represents the book overall.

What am I planning to do next?  Well, I’ve been reading some of the classics.  Some Shakespeare (which, really isn’t that hard), along with the King … of literature … I won’t tell you who it is; I want you to guess!  So, put a comment in the comment section of who you think it is!

Until next time, remember: Life is sweeter with a little chocolate!

Back in the day, the guys on Mount Olympus used to eat something that really was the food of the gods.  They didn’t bother to write down the recipe, but luckily, someone did!

Ambrosia Salad

[Recipe Link: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/ambrosia-recipe/index.html]

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 4 ounces sour cream
  • 6 ounces homemade mini marshmallows, approximately 3 cups
  • 1 cup clementine orange segments, approximately 6 clementines
  • 1 cup chopped fresh pineapple
  • 1 cup freshly grated coconut
  • 1 cup toasted, chopped pecans
  • 1/2 cup drained maraschino cherries

Directions

Place the cream and sugar into the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment and whip until stiff peaks are formed. Add the sour cream and whisk to combine. Add the marshmallows, orange, pineapple, coconut, pecans and cherries and stir to combine. Transfer to a glass serving bowl, cover and place in the refrigerator for 2 hours before serving.

About Michael

Michael is an eighth grade student who loves to read and cook. That’s right, cook!  He joined Kids Need to Read because he thought that it would be a great opportunity to help everyone open up to literacy. “When you read, you read.  When you watch TV, you watch TV.  When you create a story, you open your mind.” — Michael

Share the Post:

Related Posts

Tis the Season

Once Upon a Time… It was a dark and stormy night… This is the tale that was told to me…: Throughout history, winter has been a season rich in the tradition of storytelling, serving as a captivating blend of entertainment and education for individuals of all ages. This enduring legacy is exemplified in Beowulf, one of the oldest recorded stories, where the narrative opens with a compelling command, “Listen! we have heard of the might of the kings,”. No matter the opening line, the timeless power and importance of story and literacy is in its ability to connect generations and communities through the ages. 

Read More

With a Thankful Heart

The generous contributions from our supporters have made a significant impact on our mission, and we want to take a moment to express our heartfelt thanks.

Read More