KNTR Helps Readers Rock Out in Arizona

Sonoran Science Academy in Tucson, Arizona is a non-profit, K-12 charter school working to build a library for its lower elementary student body. Due to lack of space, it currently does not have one, but the school’s administration is dedicated to fostering a love for language arts in their students. Parent volunteer Charmaine Thomas proposed an after-school book club to encourage reading. Her idea was readily accepted, and the Rockin Readers Book Club was born. Since she was building her library collection from the ground up, Charmaine contacted Kids Need to Read in the hope that we could help her get started:

I was concerned about how I would manage to provide enough books to make this club most effective and enjoyable for the kids … any book donations received will remain at Sonoran Science Academy for the enjoyment of all future book club members and the student body alike.

Kids Need to Read donated thirty-one books valued at $400 to their library. At the time of our donation, the Rockin Readers Book Club had sixteen members, all children in second or third grade. Our donation consisted of books appropriate for ages 5-12 to allow for planned further expansion of the group.

Charmaine sent us this note after the books were in use:

I really appreciate the donation. I’ve been reading them to the kids, and they like them a lot. Thank you, thank you!

It sounds like there is a lot of reading going on in the desert! Kids Need to Read salutes Charmaine for her initiative in this reading adventure, and we are glad to have helped this school build its book collection.

Share the Post:

Related Posts

Tis the Season

Once Upon a Time… It was a dark and stormy night… This is the tale that was told to me…: Throughout history, winter has been a season rich in the tradition of storytelling, serving as a captivating blend of entertainment and education for individuals of all ages. This enduring legacy is exemplified in Beowulf, one of the oldest recorded stories, where the narrative opens with a compelling command, “Listen! we have heard of the might of the kings,”. No matter the opening line, the timeless power and importance of story and literacy is in its ability to connect generations and communities through the ages. 

Read More

With a Thankful Heart

The generous contributions from our supporters have made a significant impact on our mission, and we want to take a moment to express our heartfelt thanks.

Read More