Automatic Publishing Donates 1,332 Novels to KNTR

By Denise Gary
Photographs by Zachary J. Fox and Gary Mlodzik

Toward the last quarter of 2016, Automatic Publishing contacted Kids Need to Read and offered to send a pallet of novels for distribution to the Title I schools we serve. We were thrilled, as the hardcover books included nearly a thousand copies of Hatter Madigan: Ghost in the H.A.T.B.O.X., by Frank Beddor (part of The Looking Glass Wars series) and over 350 copies of Static, by Eric Laster (YA). This generous gift was valued over $23,000!

2016_09_29_154755_Hatter Madigan_Static_Automatic Publishing_e_cr

The books were designated to be given to students to keep, so they can all read and discuss the content together. Schools that have received books to give to all of their appropriately-aged students were Barret Elementary School in Birmingham, Alabama; Mississippi Creative Arts Elementary in St. Paul, Minnesota; School of Science and Technology in Houston, Texas; and Dual Immersion Academy in Salt Lake City, Utah. There will be more schools to come!

Dual Immersion Academy sent this reaction to the gift, which perfectly reflected the responses of the other benefiting schools:

YES YES YES!
I would absolutely love to receive books! Especially “The Ghost Book” as many of my students called it after the book fair. They will definitely be used! 🙂
Please let me know if there is any information you need or if there is any way I can help! 🙂
WOOHOO!! I’m so excited! Thanks again!

We were also fortunate to receive copies of Hatter Madigan: Ghost in the H.A.T.B.O.X. when author Frank Beddor raffled off a huge Wonder Grate of Looking Glass Wars collectibles at Changing Hands Bookstore in Phoenix during the book’s release a year ago.

Frank Beddor with raffle winner

The raffle benefited Kids Need to Read, so we turned around and purchased copies of the treasured Ghost in the H.A.T.B.O.X. novels!

Changing Hands Frank Beddor book launch 4.16.16

This gift was followed by a case of the books being donated by Automatic Publishing to KNTR at Phoenix Comicon. Happiness filled our shelves awaiting new homes!

IMG_20160421_183032_e

Guess what happens when we set out copies of Hatter Madigan: Ghost in the H.A.T.B.O.X. for children to select at KNTR’s Page Coach stops? Ghost in the H.A.T.B.O.X. is always the first stack of books for middle readers and teens to disappear. Suffice it to say, kids are intrigued by this book!

We thank Automatic Publishing for their incredible generosity and for granting KNTR the honor of distributing copies of their terrific novels to disadvantaged children. Quoting Operations Director Lori Cothrun, “We have so many deserving schools and children, and we are happy to brighten their day with these beautiful books.”

20160615_155459_Frank Beddor_PHXCC_e_cr

Share the Post:

Related Posts

Tis the Season

Once Upon a Time… It was a dark and stormy night… This is the tale that was told to me…: Throughout history, winter has been a season rich in the tradition of storytelling, serving as a captivating blend of entertainment and education for individuals of all ages. This enduring legacy is exemplified in Beowulf, one of the oldest recorded stories, where the narrative opens with a compelling command, “Listen! we have heard of the might of the kings,”. No matter the opening line, the timeless power and importance of story and literacy is in its ability to connect generations and communities through the ages. 

Read More

With a Thankful Heart

The generous contributions from our supporters have made a significant impact on our mission, and we want to take a moment to express our heartfelt thanks.

Read More