Kathy and Jerry Wood Foundation Awards $25,000 Grant to READ Together

LGLS991

Kids Need to Read is pleased to announce it has received a $25,000 national grant from the Kathy and Jerry Wood Foundation. This is the second year of funding from the foundation to help expand the READ Together program at nineteen schools located in low socioeconomic areas of the United States. READ Together addresses the systemic barriers to early school and childhood success by providing plentiful resources for at-home and on-campus reading activities, both crucial to building long-term reading achievement.

READ Together’s first year focused on increasing the reading proficiency levels of kindergarten students in seventy classrooms across the nation. The program is expanding during the 2016–2017 school year to include first grade students at each school in order to provide participating students and their caregivers with two solid years of daily reading resources and inspiration.

The program is being conducted in Arizona, California, Colorado, Illinois, Mississippi, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oregon, South Carolina, Texas, and West Virginia. We received wonderfully positive comments from kindergarten teachers who conducted READ Together in their classrooms this past school year, including the following example:

Read Together was very beneficial for my kinder students. . . . With Read Together it gave the students an opportunity to take books home and having that one on one time with their parents. I noticed a difference once I started sending books home because when students would come across a word they already knew from reading they were very happy to be able to read. I saw a growth from their [Developmental Reading Assessment] scores which was a plus for the students and I. —Mexicoytl Academy, Tucson, Arizona

We sincerely thank the Kathy and Jerry Wood Foundation, a private, charitable foundation established in 2006 through the wills of the late Kathy Wood and her husband, the late Jerry Wood. The foundation focuses on education and Kids Need to Read is looking forward to continuing its service to the children who are benefiting from Kathy and Jerry Wood’s foresight and generosity.

More: READ Together Information and Family Reading Tips

READ Together Contributors

Cardinals Charities
GreaterGood.org
Highlights for Children, Inc.
John F. Long Foundation
Kathy and Jerry Wood Foundation
Mesa United Way
NBAZ Charities

Share the Post:

Related Posts

Tis the Season

Once Upon a Time… It was a dark and stormy night… This is the tale that was told to me…: Throughout history, winter has been a season rich in the tradition of storytelling, serving as a captivating blend of entertainment and education for individuals of all ages. This enduring legacy is exemplified in Beowulf, one of the oldest recorded stories, where the narrative opens with a compelling command, “Listen! we have heard of the might of the kings,”. No matter the opening line, the timeless power and importance of story and literacy is in its ability to connect generations and communities through the ages. 

Read More

With a Thankful Heart

The generous contributions from our supporters have made a significant impact on our mission, and we want to take a moment to express our heartfelt thanks.

Read More