A Father, a Daughter, and a Library in Dublin

By Denise Gary
Photos by Denise Gary

One of my earliest childhood memories is reading a giant copy of Aesop’s Fables with my father. Every night, I craved to experience more of the exciting adventures and illustrations magically contained inside the covers of that magnificent book. Another early memory is of my first visit to a bookmobile with my mother—a voracious reader who passed away in 2005 before Kids Need to Read had come into being. The unusual smell; the sight of so many books in one place; the idea that I could take home an armful of books filled me with wonder! It speaks volumes that my most distant memories are of books and the enlightening truths they revealed of humanity. It is no surprise then that my siblings and I share a lifelong love of reading, adventure, and discovery.

Earlier this year, my ninety-year-old father called me up to tell me he wanted to take me to Ireland in October, just the two of us enjoying new adventures with our terrific guide, Jimmy. That is Jimmy on the left and my dad, Charlie, on the right.

12119138_918753158194222_2267813217070395200_n

I barely had time to renew my passport and off we went! I could go on and on about the trip, but this story is only about one particular moment of our most wondrous and memorable journey. Dad had been to Ireland long ago with Mom and he had a surprise planned for me: Trinity College Library in Dublin. I knew nothing about the library, but Dad explained they restore ancient books there. How wonderful, I thought, but I had no idea what an exceptional experience awaited me.

20151015_092509

The downstairs level of the building is dedicated to the Book of Kells! The Book of Kells!!! My poor father waited patiently as I read every sign and studied every display on the history and creation of this stunning illuminated manuscript of the four Gospels.  It was created c. 800 at a monastery in Ireland and/or Britain. Every tidbit was fascinating!

20151015_070954

After my studies were complete, we entered the room where the library displays two of the four volumes at a time. Each volume is under glass, one open to a gorgeous full-page illustration and the other open to text pages, which also contain small, ornate artwork.  It felt a privilege to view a book of such incredible age and masterful work. To think the monks handmade every sheet of vellum (pages made from calf hides), transcribed every letter, and incorporated such intricate and meaningful art was difficult to comprehend. I stood there as long as I could in an attempt to absorb and fully appreciate the skill and beauty laid before me. It felt impossible to do so without touching the pages! No photos are allowed of the Book of Kells, but the entire manuscript can be viewed on the Trinity College Library’s Digital Collections Repository—a poor substitute for seeing the book in person, but every sheet fortunately available to everyone. There is also a facsimile displayed elsewhere in the library and photographs are allowed, but I found it to be vastly inferior to the original. The nuances of the craftsmanship and pigments are lost in the replica.

20151015_084248ce

20151015_084202ce

After viewing the Book of Kells, we headed upstairs to see the library. We were taken up in a service elevator, as my dad was unfortunately hobbled with a bulging disc at the time and could not manage the stairs. When the man taking us up found out I was the co-founder and director of a children’s literacy organization, he smiled and informed me our timing was perfect. The library currently had a special exhibition of children’s books! It was as though it was meant for me! As this gentleman was talking, I suddenly caught a glimpse of the library’s contents through the glass of the elevator and my jaw dropped wide open! “Oh my god, look at those old books,” I blurted out!

20151015_090010

Then I popped out of the doors into pure glory! Surely, there were angels singing! Or was that in my head?! It was the most magnificent library in which I had ever (choose a cliché) stepped foot … laid eyes … twirled about while singing The Sound of Music! Ancient books filled “The Long Room” on shelves extending upward two floors to the vaulted timbered ceiling.

20151015_084557~2

Busts of famous writers and philosophers capped the ends of each shelf.

20151015_084419

The atmosphere was warm and rich.

20151015_082856

20151015_085736~2

“An astounding repository of human knowledge, desire and imagination,” I thought to myself. My dad smiled in delight, as it was obvious his crowning excursion was a hit. Looking back on my pictures, I can see the joy written all over my face!

20151015_081916~2

As my dad chatted up other visitors, I wandered about.

20151015_084741~2

20151015_081956

In the midst of so many books, I was surprised to discover the medieval Trinity College harp, one of the three oldest surviving Gaelic harps, and the national symbol of Ireland.

20151015_083335

Running through the center of The Long Room were cases of precious children’s books on display.

20151015_081706

The oldest I found was from 1648.

20151015_085509ce

A Star Wars graphic novel was part of the collection, complete with a Jedi library looking very much like Trinity College Library.

20151015_081652c

The theme of the exhibit was “Mythology and Children’s Literature,” and the information cards provided the mythological roots of contemporary children’s tales.

20151015_082450c

20151015_082318c

20151015_082338c

20151015_082407c

20151015_083712c

I smiled as I thought of the children who had delighted in these wonderful books. How many of them had enjoyed reading them with their fathers and mothers? How many of them had developed a close bond with their parents while enjoying these treasures so thoughtfully chosen and carefully displayed before me? The same kind of bond I had developed with my mother and father. The bond I was now sharing with my beloved father who had brought me here as an act of love.

20151015_081812ec

You, too, can ensure you develop a bond of reading with your children, or the children of friends and relatives. Your act of love will serve them well throughout their lifetimes, and will create warm and lasting memories for each of you. Make reading an absolute and joyful part of your lives. Make the time! Intelligence, wonderment, fulfillment, affection—one thing is certain; you will never regret time spent on this ancient and most vital activity.

With love to my father, Charlie Viosca.

20151015_082121~2c

Denise Gary
Executive Director

Share the Post:

Related Posts

Tis the Season

Once Upon a Time… It was a dark and stormy night… This is the tale that was told to me…: Throughout history, winter has been a season rich in the tradition of storytelling, serving as a captivating blend of entertainment and education for individuals of all ages. This enduring legacy is exemplified in Beowulf, one of the oldest recorded stories, where the narrative opens with a compelling command, “Listen! we have heard of the might of the kings,”. No matter the opening line, the timeless power and importance of story and literacy is in its ability to connect generations and communities through the ages. 

Read More

With a Thankful Heart

The generous contributions from our supporters have made a significant impact on our mission, and we want to take a moment to express our heartfelt thanks.

Read More