Literacy through the Arts with Mesa Arts Center

by Denise Gary
Photographs © Denise Gary

Kids and Books and Theater and Imagination! Kids Need to Read was honored to partner with Mesa Arts Center during the 2013–2014 school year, supporting their Literacy through the Arts residency program at Lowell Elementary School in Mesa, Arizona. Kids Need to Read provided books in support of the program, which encouraged literacy through targeted school workshops and exceptional theater performances.

Kids Need to Read provided young reader editions of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, by Lewis Carroll, for the third and fourth grade students attending a Salzburg Marionettes production of the story at Mesa Arts Center, as well as Carroll’s Through the Looking-Glass classic novels for the teachers to continue sharing Alice’s adventures afterward. The production was spectacular, of course. After the show, a little girl recognized me from speaking on stage, and exclaimed, “I LOVED IT!” while jumping up and down, and said she could not wait to read the book. It was a moment I cherished!

Copies of the book Frindle, by Andrew Clements, were given to each of the fifth and sixth grade students to keep as part of the program.

I was invited to participate in the program at the school with Ashley Hare, Mesa Arts Center’s Arts Education Outreach Associate.

Ashley enthusiastically engaged the children with a fun, interactive program. She was so skilled with the children!

I had a chance to talk to the students about reading and thinking “outside the box.” After reading the books, the students attended a performance of Frindle at Mesa Arts Center.

Copies of Opuestos, by Cynthia Weill, Martín Santiago, and Quirino Santiago, were presented to each of the kindergarten through second grade students to keep and treasure.

Copies of Dream Carver, by Diana Cohn and Amy Cordova, were provided to the teachers and assistants to read aloud in the classrooms.

Once again, I was invited to participate in the program at the school, this time with Andy Waldron, Mesa Arts Center’s LitArts Program Coordinator.

It was so much fun to watch the kids laughing and interacting with Andy. He was terrific!

After reading Dream Carver and Opuestos, the students attended a performance of Dream Carver at Mesa Arts Center.

Many thanks to Mandy Buscas, Ashley Hare, Andy Waldron, and Laura Wilde for allowing Kids Need to Read to be a part of their wonderful program! Literacy and the arts are clearly a winning combination!

Photo Gallery: Literacy through the Arts with Mesa Arts Center

Share the Post:

Related Posts

Tis the Season

Once Upon a Time… It was a dark and stormy night… This is the tale that was told to me…: Throughout history, winter has been a season rich in the tradition of storytelling, serving as a captivating blend of entertainment and education for individuals of all ages. This enduring legacy is exemplified in Beowulf, one of the oldest recorded stories, where the narrative opens with a compelling command, “Listen! we have heard of the might of the kings,”. No matter the opening line, the timeless power and importance of story and literacy is in its ability to connect generations and communities through the ages. 

Read More

With a Thankful Heart

The generous contributions from our supporters have made a significant impact on our mission, and we want to take a moment to express our heartfelt thanks.

Read More