Thus Begins the Journey of The Little Flame

There was a little flame—the child of a bold and fearless fire.

lf 0002 clr flt-1 copy

Greetings, Keepers of The Little Flame!

It is with the greatest of gratitude and joy that we report The Little Flame children’s book project has SUCCESSFULLY funded! The total raised through the Indiegogo campaign was $6,662 (111% funded)! Please forgive us while we SQUEEEEE and Happy Dance!!!!!!!!! Thanks so much to every wonderful, kind, generous person who made this happen for Kids Need to Read and the children for whom we work to provide dignity and hope! Never doubt that each of you is a spark for their future!

Thank you to everyone who made such incredibly valiant efforts in support of The Little Flame on social media and beyond. We are overwhelmed by your thoughtfulness and beyond fortunate to be touched by so many beautiful Little Flames. Those of you who continued your extraordinary support after our first fundraising effort was vanquished were especially bright lights. One of my favorite lines in The Little Flame is, “The little flame was broken, but each ember held a spark of hope—fuel for her future.”  I believe there is always hope and thank you for believing to the end.

We would like to thank some folks who worked hard to bring this project to fruition: David Ranck, Robert Gary, Andrew Marnik, Marisa Grieco, Carly Woolley, BeLinda and Cee Cee Creech, KNTR’s charitable attorneys, and most especially my spectacular partner in art, Steven Riley, who continually gives so much to Kids Need to Read. In addition, we are extremely grateful to our anonymous $2,000 donor, as well as our matching funds partners, LA Marathon Fund and an anonymous source. These generous partners are providing an additional $6,000 to ensure the printing of 5,000 copies of The Little Flame. Look for Little Flame buttons, too!

little_flame_button

I am not an author; I am simply someone who has a story to share. The Little Flame sprang up from a need to share that story. It has been my heart’s desire to give the book to Kids Need to Read, because I know the value it holds for children in need of something beautiful in which to believe. After all, the importance of reading extends far beyond the mechanics. Its greatest power is determined by how each person uses reading to shape their lives. Thank you for believing in the story of The Little Flame! Soon, the book will be sent out for printing and then find its way into your hands. It is my hope it will inspire you to be a Little Flame in every life you touch.

Shine on,

Denise Gary, Steven Riley, and the Kids Need to Read board, staff, and volunteers

Artwork © The Little Flame; illustrated by Steven Riley

Share the Post:

Related Posts

Tis the Season

Once Upon a Time… It was a dark and stormy night… This is the tale that was told to me…: Throughout history, winter has been a season rich in the tradition of storytelling, serving as a captivating blend of entertainment and education for individuals of all ages. This enduring legacy is exemplified in Beowulf, one of the oldest recorded stories, where the narrative opens with a compelling command, “Listen! we have heard of the might of the kings,”. No matter the opening line, the timeless power and importance of story and literacy is in its ability to connect generations and communities through the ages. 

Read More

With a Thankful Heart

The generous contributions from our supporters have made a significant impact on our mission, and we want to take a moment to express our heartfelt thanks.

Read More