Me Oh My-o, We Had Big Fun on the Bayou!

By Denise Gary
Photographs © Robert Gary and Denise Gary

It was messy and it was fun! Kids Need to Read brought bayou fun to the desert with our first-ever Cajun Crawfish Boil Charité, raising funds for the KNTR “Kids-N-Peace” literacy program. Folks enjoyed toe-tappin’ Cajun Zydeco music while wolfing down fresh mudbugs and other classic Louisiana delicacies prepared by Chef Sauce Boss.

Laissez les Bon Temps Rouler! The party staff made sure everyone knew it was time to “Let the good times roll!”

In addition to the Cajun Crawfish, Sausage, Taters & Corn on the Cob . . .

. . . Old School Red Beans and Rice was served . . .

. . . as well as Blackened Chicken Po-Boys . . .

. . . and fresh Pralines!

For those who preferred less spicy fair, hamburgers were tossed upon the grill.

Author and KNTR Advisory Council member James Owen tested and approved the private reserve “Six Feet Under” Sweet Potato Hot Sauce made by Chef Sauce Boss.

James always has a good story to share . . . okay, “stories!”

Folks had fun!

Folks ate!

There was a crawfish-peelin’ demo.

Writer Sara Fujimura introduced Rock the Drop—Phoenix, asking the party-goers to take a book (provided by KNTR) to “drop,” along with an explanatory bookmark, in a public place for kids to find.

Of course, we had the requisite mudbug bibs . . .

. . . and bayou shack.

KNTR Chairman Tyson Breinholt wasn’t so sure he wanted anything to do with the crawdads! (He bravely ate two tails I peeled for him.)

James provided Tyson with some inside book scoop.

Chef Sauce Boss kept on cooking!

There were door prizes.

There were happy winners.

The chef was applauded!

There was a little dancing (by two of us) . . .

. . . and some relaxin’.

Thanks so much from all of us at Kids Need to Read to everyone who supported our first annual Cajun Crawfish Boil Charité, including Sprouts Farmers Market on Gilbert and Brown in Mesa for helping KNTR with some food. Your sausage was delicious! Also, thanks to Charlie, Leta, and Tyson for your sponsorship funding. We are filled with beaucoups of gratitude!

Be sure to join us next year for more food and fun, Cajun style! There are lots more photos in the Cajun Crawfish Boil Charité, with Chef Sauce Boss photo galleries.

Share the Post:

Related Posts

Tis the Season

Once Upon a Time… It was a dark and stormy night… This is the tale that was told to me…: Throughout history, winter has been a season rich in the tradition of storytelling, serving as a captivating blend of entertainment and education for individuals of all ages. This enduring legacy is exemplified in Beowulf, one of the oldest recorded stories, where the narrative opens with a compelling command, “Listen! we have heard of the might of the kings,”. No matter the opening line, the timeless power and importance of story and literacy is in its ability to connect generations and communities through the ages. 

Read More

With a Thankful Heart

The generous contributions from our supporters have made a significant impact on our mission, and we want to take a moment to express our heartfelt thanks.

Read More