Reading Revolution: Up From Slavery with Aaronetta Edmonds

By Denise Gary
Photographs © Denise Gary

Kids Need to Read introduced the eighth grade students of ASU Preparatory Academy to Aaronetta Edmonds, who shared the experiences of her grandparents during their time as slaves.

Aaronetta’s husband, Wes Edmonds, also contributed to the program.

The presentation supported the eighth grade English language arts studies of Up From Slavery: An Autobiography, by Booker T. Washington.

Class sets of the book were provided by Kids Need to Read as part of the Reading Revolution program, designed to increase literacy scores and graduation rates among middle school students. Earlier in the year, I was fortunate to have had the opportunity to join the eighth grade classes during their studies of this book. Afterward, I felt they would benefit from a more personal perspective of the challenges slaves experienced as they transitioned to freedom.

Aaronetta exuded quiet dignity as she recounted the struggles her grandparents endured as they persevered in the face of oppression, while never passing down bitterness or hatred to their progeny.

Aaronetta also shared the shock and indignation she felt upon her first encounters with Jim Crow laws while on a visit to the south.

Students were spell-bound by the couple’s recollections.

Aaronetta shared family documents and pictures from the era.

Aaronetta’s Grandparents and their Children

Students enjoyed question and answer sessions, with one student asking the Edmonds if they would serve as godparents to the students.

The students also enjoyed asking Wes for his thoughts, especially regarding racism today.

Seventh grade students were brought in to enjoy the final presentation of the day.

To close the civil rights studies, eighth grade English teacher Andrea Enger invited me and the Edmonds to join the students at a performance of the musical Memphis at the ASU Gammage Auditorium in Tempe, Arizona. The event was sponsored by Kaleidoscope through Arizona State University.

It was a real treat to enjoy this engrossing story based on the experiences of the first white DJ to play black music in Tennessee. After the performance—one of the best musicals I have experienced—we were all treated to a delicious dinner on the portico, with a cast member joining each table for the meal. The meal was followed by a question and answer session with the cast members. It was an incredible opportunity not only for the students but for me and the Edmonds, as well.

It has been a true honor working with Andrea Enger on the Reading Revolution program the past two years. She has been the backbone of the program, welcoming me to her classroom and allowing Kids Need to Read to be a part of the education experience. I cannot overstate what an inspiring teacher she is—always a consummate educator.

More photos: “Reading Revolution: Up From Slavery Presentation with Aaronetta Edmonds” Photo Gallery

More Reading Revolution Program Information

Reading Revolution Program Partners

Arizona State University
ASU Preparatory Academy
Canyon State Academy

Reading Revolution Funding Partners

American Woodmark Foundation
Arizona Diamondbacks Foundation
Avnet Contributions Council
Cardinals Charities
Employees Community Fund of Boeing Arizona
Fry’s Fund
John F. Long Foundation
National Home Library Foundation
Otto & Edna Neely Foundation
Walmart Foundation
Weyerhaeuser Giving Fund

Share the Post:

Related Posts

Tis the Season

Once Upon a Time… It was a dark and stormy night… This is the tale that was told to me…: Throughout history, winter has been a season rich in the tradition of storytelling, serving as a captivating blend of entertainment and education for individuals of all ages. This enduring legacy is exemplified in Beowulf, one of the oldest recorded stories, where the narrative opens with a compelling command, “Listen! we have heard of the might of the kings,”. No matter the opening line, the timeless power and importance of story and literacy is in its ability to connect generations and communities through the ages. 

Read More

With a Thankful Heart

The generous contributions from our supporters have made a significant impact on our mission, and we want to take a moment to express our heartfelt thanks.

Read More