KNTR Founders Awarded Edwin P. Hubble Medal of Initiative

By Denise Gary
Photographs © William Russell, Kelly Schlereth, and Denise Gary

I had the great pleasure of visiting Marshfield, Missouri and its friendly inhabitants when I attended the Edwin P. Hubble Medal of Initiative dinner during the city’s annual Cherry Blossom Festival. The Hubble Medal was bestowed upon me, PJ Haarsma, and Nathan Fillion for our work in founding Kids Need to Read to provide literacy resources to disadvantaged children and adolescents throughout the United States. The award is Marshfield’s highest honor and is presented annually to those who have shown great initiative in their lifetime. The award and accompanying dinner is named in honor of Marshfield’s native son and namesake of the Hubble Space Telescope, Edwin Powell Hubble (1889-1953).

It was incredibly moving and quite a surprise to receive this award, as one never thinks of receiving accolades while focused on building support for a cause. The experience was made all the more enjoyable by the welcoming Marshfield townsfolk. Kate Bryce cheerfully took time out of her schedule to take me to eat some great southern cooking and show me the town square, including a replica of the Hubble Telescope. The unseasonably warm spring caused the cherry trees to bloom early, so they were already cloaked in green during the festival. No matter; it all looked gorgeous to me, as I am used to a decidedly less lush environment in Mesa.

After my local touring escapade, I joined PJ Haarsma at the Hubble Award dinner.

© William Russell

There we met Kelly Schlereth, who traveled with her husband to the event in support of KNTR and presented us with scrapbook pages to commemorate the event. Kelly took photos and video of the proceedings for us (simultaneously!), for which I am so grateful!

© Kelly Schlereth

Marie Bruno, the first cousin of President William J. Clinton, introduced the dinner attendees to me, PJ, Nathan (absent), and Kids Need to Read.

© Kelly Schlereth

The awards were presented by Edwin P. Hubble’s nephew John Lane and festival organizer Reverend Nicholas Inman.

© Kelly Schlereth

I could not resist looking down at the medal hanging around my neck as PJ began his acceptance speech. After working five years to build Kids Need to Read, it was a huge thrill to witness recognition for the organization I love so dearly and its efforts to promote childhood literacy.

© Kelly Schlereth

PJ has a fantastic sense of humor, so it was no surprise his acceptance speech elicited a great deal of laughter. I actually saw someone slapping their knee!

© William Russell

My speech evoked tears from some audience members as I tried to impart the depth of my passion for Kids Need to Read and the honor I feel over sharing space on a list that embraces one of my biggest heroes, Lady Bird Johnson. Past Hubble honorees include many United States presidents and several great social reformers, but Lady Bird holds a very special significance for me. Take a look at the video of our speeches (above) to find out why and to have a few laughs, as well.

© William Russell

After all the medals were presented and the speeches delivered, some down-home fun was spun as the cherry pie contest entries were auctioned to raise funds for future Cherry Blossom Festivals.

I was graced with a slice of delicious, award-winning pie, which may have been the greatest honor of all, considering its winning bid came in at over $100!

Denise with Kate Bryce and Reverend Inman. © Denise Gary

Nathan Fillion was unable to attend the ceremony, but PJ delivered his medal upon his return to Los Angeles.

Many thanks to Reverend Nicholas Inman, Kate Bryce, Marie Bruno, John Lane, and the kind folks of Marshfield, Missouri. I hope to return someday as a past honoree . . . and to see those cherry trees in bloom!

Photo Gallery: Edwin P. Hubble Medal of Initiative

Share the Post:

Related Posts

Tis the Season

Once Upon a Time… It was a dark and stormy night… This is the tale that was told to me…: Throughout history, winter has been a season rich in the tradition of storytelling, serving as a captivating blend of entertainment and education for individuals of all ages. This enduring legacy is exemplified in Beowulf, one of the oldest recorded stories, where the narrative opens with a compelling command, “Listen! we have heard of the might of the kings,”. No matter the opening line, the timeless power and importance of story and literacy is in its ability to connect generations and communities through the ages. 

Read More

With a Thankful Heart

The generous contributions from our supporters have made a significant impact on our mission, and we want to take a moment to express our heartfelt thanks.

Read More