SARRC Volunteers Beautify KNTR Office with Help from Harper’s Nursery

By Denise Gary
Photographs © Robert Gary and Denise Gary

Let me be frank, we truly love our new office building – a 1940’s abode converted into a comfy headquarters where charitable deeds are envisioned, planned, and put into action. However, the dreary gravel beds at the front entrance were not engendering the slightest bit of affection.

We are a living, breathing organization! Could we please have some life in these flower beds? Anybody? Why yes, of course – so said the volunteers of Southwest Autism Research & Resource Center’s (SARRC) GoodDeedWorks team! And so agreed Harper’s Nursery & Landscape Company in Mesa, Arizona.

This is the third time Kids Need to Read has hosted the GoodDeedWorks volunteers. In the past, they have organized books and assembled shelves for us. They are a wonderful resource for local businesses! For this project, we needed additional help in the form of plants, dirt, and mulch. I went begging to the folks at Harper’s Nursery, who have been patiently teaching this Texan how to garden in the Arizona desert, and they helped us out with our supplies.

I welcomed the volunteer team and described the gardening project, as well as the book we were giving each of them at the end of the day, Seedfolks, by Paul Fleischman.

Debb explained the second project, which was to categorize KNTR’s stash of comic books for our upcoming inventory.

Then the team got to work!

Gravel was removed.

Soil was poured.

The garden was raked.

I even got to swing a pickax!

Then it was time to plant!

Inside, the inventory project was underway.

SARRC program leader Erica added some finishing touches outside.

Debb and I tackled the last pot.

The sidewalk was cleaned and the job was complete.

We thank Erica, Brad, and the entire SARRC GoodDeedWorks team for making the outside of our office reflect the joy that resides inside!

Special thanks to my buddies Jay and Mark at Harper’s Nursery! We appreciate your service to the community.

Photo Gallery: SARRC GoodDeedWorks Volunteer Day

Share the Post:

Related Posts

Tis the Season

Once Upon a Time… It was a dark and stormy night… This is the tale that was told to me…: Throughout history, winter has been a season rich in the tradition of storytelling, serving as a captivating blend of entertainment and education for individuals of all ages. This enduring legacy is exemplified in Beowulf, one of the oldest recorded stories, where the narrative opens with a compelling command, “Listen! we have heard of the might of the kings,”. No matter the opening line, the timeless power and importance of story and literacy is in its ability to connect generations and communities through the ages. 

Read More

With a Thankful Heart

The generous contributions from our supporters have made a significant impact on our mission, and we want to take a moment to express our heartfelt thanks.

Read More