KNTR at TLA Conference and Arizona Diamondbacks Game This Weekend

By Denise Gary

Kids Need to Read has several exciting happenings going on this week! This Friday, several of us will be hosting a presentation at the Texas Library Association 2012 Conference in Houston, Texas. During our panel, we will be premiering a new video created by Nathan Fillion and PJ Haarsma in support of KNTR! Then I will be flying back to attend a reception and on-field grant recipient recognition at Saturday’s Arizona Diamondbacks game in Phoenix, Arizona! Call me silly, but I am ridiculously excited to be called out on Chase Field on behalf of Kids Need to Read!

We hope to meet some of you at these events! Here are more details for you:

Friday, April 20, 2012
Texas Library Association 2012 Conference
10:00 AM-11:50 AM
Houston Convention Center
1001 Avenida
Houston, Texas

The Texas Library Association has graciously provided a two hour panel to Kids Need to Read to discuss our mission, as well as opportunities for underfunded schools, libraries, and literacy programs. Panelists scheduled to appear are Dr. James Blasingame, Denise Gary, PJ Haarsma, and Dr. Teri Lesesne. In addition to the Nathan Fillion video “world premiere,” we will have a Reading Revolution slide show presentation. Dr. Teri Lesesne will discuss the importance of providing books to ALL readers. Dr. Lesesne will also talk about how to use books to motivate readers and what types of books might work best with reluctant readers. Dr. James Blasingame will discuss the curricula used in the Reading Revolution program and explain how teachers can incorporate similar methods, despite imposed restrictions. PJ Haarsma will discuss how he uses technology to inspire kids to read. I will be discussing a little bit of everything about our programs! We will have 2012 and 2013 calendars available for cash donations. This will be the first time the Kids Need to Read 2013 calendar will be made available. (Dr. Blasingame and PJ Haarsma will each conduct additional presentations earlier in the morning.)

Webcast Preview of Kids Need to Read Presentation

Other TLA Conference Previews

Saturday, April 21, 2012
Arizona Diamondbacks Foundation Grant Recipient Recognition
3:10 PM
Chase Field
401 E. Jefferson Street
Phoenix, Arizona

Kids Need to Read and other grant recipients will be treated to a special reception and on-field recognition when the Arizona Diamondbacks host the Atlanta Braves.

Thank you to all of our supporters who have made it possible for Kids Need to Read to be part of such wonderful opportunities!

Share the Post:

Related Posts

Tis the Season

Once Upon a Time… It was a dark and stormy night… This is the tale that was told to me…: Throughout history, winter has been a season rich in the tradition of storytelling, serving as a captivating blend of entertainment and education for individuals of all ages. This enduring legacy is exemplified in Beowulf, one of the oldest recorded stories, where the narrative opens with a compelling command, “Listen! we have heard of the might of the kings,”. No matter the opening line, the timeless power and importance of story and literacy is in its ability to connect generations and communities through the ages. 

Read More

With a Thankful Heart

The generous contributions from our supporters have made a significant impact on our mission, and we want to take a moment to express our heartfelt thanks.

Read More