Arizona Avengers Welcome KNTR at Tucson Comic Con

Written by Denise Gary
Photographs © Denise Gary

Arizona Avengers – heroes in comic books and heroes in real life! I had the pleasure of being a guest in their booth at Tucson Comic Con, where they conducted a book/comic book/graphic novel drive for KNTR. We were right next to the Arizona Browncoats, too, so that made the event all the more fun!

We also gave Highlights and Highlights High Five magazines to children and sold Kids Need to Read 2012 calendars.

She-Hulk made super cool comic book hair clips to benefit KNTR.

Folks LOVED them and we sure appreciated the donations!

Guys figured out a way to wear the comic book clips, too!

Storm demonstrated the proper use of the word, “BAM!”

Cameron, usually in the guise of Wolverine or Wiccan, is the Arizona Avengers’ leader.

I found Jack Sparrow occupying Tortuga!

Jack photo bombed Jabba the Hutt. There may be some Mando Mercs chasing Jack now!

Author and illustrator Travis Hanson donated 250 prints of The Storyteller to KNTR! It is a beautifully detailed art piece and perfectly illustrates our mission.

Captain America (tiny version) paid us a visit.

Near the end of the day, several of the Arizona Avengers danced with Justice League Arizona members.

Thanks for having me, y’all! You treated me like a superhero and I had such a great time! We appreciate everything you do for Kids Need to Read!

Photo Gallery: Tucson Comic Con 2011

Related Blog: Hero Comics: Heroic Deeds for KNTR

Share the Post:

Related Posts

Tis the Season

Once Upon a Time… It was a dark and stormy night… This is the tale that was told to me…: Throughout history, winter has been a season rich in the tradition of storytelling, serving as a captivating blend of entertainment and education for individuals of all ages. This enduring legacy is exemplified in Beowulf, one of the oldest recorded stories, where the narrative opens with a compelling command, “Listen! we have heard of the might of the kings,”. No matter the opening line, the timeless power and importance of story and literacy is in its ability to connect generations and communities through the ages. 

Read More

With a Thankful Heart

The generous contributions from our supporters have made a significant impact on our mission, and we want to take a moment to express our heartfelt thanks.

Read More