Two Barnes & Noble Holiday Book Drives to Benefit KNTR

Written by Denise Gary
Photographs © Denise Gary

Wow! Incredibly, the holidays are upon us once again! It is still warm around these parts, so my thoughts of Thanksgiving turkeys and Christmas trees have been drifting about rather lazily . . . that is, until I was paid a friendly visit by the community relations managers of two local Barnes & Noble stores – Sibley Giles of Chandler Fashion Mall (Chandler, AZ) and J. Paul Deason of Dana Park Village Square (Mesa, AZ). My subtle feelings of holiday anticipation were suddenly jolted into joyful celebration when Sibley and J. Paul let me know that both stores would be conducting their annual holiday book drive to benefit Kids Need to Read this year. Now some of you may remember that last year, Kids Need to Read received a magnificent present in the form of 2,334 brand new books valued at $13,000 from the 2010 holiday book drive at Barnes & Noble – Chandler Fashion Mall! The 2010 effort was a huge success due to the enthusiastic commitment to childhood literacy of the store’s crew and the local community. This year, we will receive new books for KNTR kids from two stores! Talk about holiday cheer; we are ecstatic!

Some of the books from the 2010 Barnes & Noble – Chandler Holiday Book Drive

Kids Need to Read has used the books from last year’s drive as literacy incentives for our beneficiaries. Once they receive a shipment of books from KNTR and use these books in literacy-based activities, they receive a second large shipment of books – the books from the Barnes & Noble Holiday Book Drive. This has been incredibly successful in ensuring our books are put to good use, rather than simply cataloged and shelved. Simply put, without the Barnes & Noble Holiday Book Drive, we could not have instituted this vital incentive which has now become such an important part of our program.

Please help support Kids Need to Read through this wonderful holiday project at these two highly supportive booksellers! And don’t forget, books make fantastic presents! Share the gift of knowledge, imagination, and wonder with your family and friends!

Thank you to our friends at Barnes & Noble! Let the holidays begin!

November through December, 2011
Barnes & Noble Holiday Book Drive

Barnes & Noble Booksellers
Chandler Fashion Mall
3111 W. Chandler Blvd #2054
Chandler, AZ 85226
480-792-1312

Barnes & Noble Booksellers
Dana Park Village Square
1758 South Val Vista Drive
Mesa, AZ 85204
480-545-8507

Share the Post:

Related Posts

Tis the Season

Once Upon a Time… It was a dark and stormy night… This is the tale that was told to me…: Throughout history, winter has been a season rich in the tradition of storytelling, serving as a captivating blend of entertainment and education for individuals of all ages. This enduring legacy is exemplified in Beowulf, one of the oldest recorded stories, where the narrative opens with a compelling command, “Listen! we have heard of the might of the kings,”. No matter the opening line, the timeless power and importance of story and literacy is in its ability to connect generations and communities through the ages. 

Read More

With a Thankful Heart

The generous contributions from our supporters have made a significant impact on our mission, and we want to take a moment to express our heartfelt thanks.

Read More