Leadership through Literacy: Teen Moms Meet KNTR

By Denise Gary
Photographs © Robert Gary

I like to think of KNTR books as small embers. Each one has the potential to erupt into a bright flame for a kid that I will never meet. I love that idea – of indirectly changing the life of someone I will never know. But on occasion, I do get the opportunity to meet and talk with kids who are the beneficiaries of our books, and from my view point, it is always a special moment in time. This past summer, I was able to chat with six teen moms earning their GEDs at Child and Family Resources’ dropout recovery program in Phoenix, Arizona. These young mothers are determined to make a better life for themselves and their children through education.

We talked about the meaning of leadership and how it applies to everyone’s life.

The program focused on the use of books to shape a person’s future. I explained how the book, Architects of Peace: Visions of Hope in Words and Images, strengthened my perspective on life and leadership, and how the students can benefit by reading the thoughts of the world’s great leaders of peace.

A print of Power, Tony Parker’s KNTR 2012 calendar contribution, served as the backdrop of the program. The art piece depicts a comic hero voraciously reading stacks of books while sitting underneath the words “Knowledge is Power” carved into his stone chair – a powerful message indeed!

Every student received a copy of Architects of Peace, written by Michael Collopy. They started reading their books as soon as they were placed in their hands.

The program closed out with a question and answer session. It soon became clear that the young ladies in the group were dedicated to creating a love of reading in their kids. The amazing, living packages called children are the future of our world; books are the magic wands needed to unlock their special gifts.

Share the Post:

Related Posts

Tis the Season

Once Upon a Time… It was a dark and stormy night… This is the tale that was told to me…: Throughout history, winter has been a season rich in the tradition of storytelling, serving as a captivating blend of entertainment and education for individuals of all ages. This enduring legacy is exemplified in Beowulf, one of the oldest recorded stories, where the narrative opens with a compelling command, “Listen! we have heard of the might of the kings,”. No matter the opening line, the timeless power and importance of story and literacy is in its ability to connect generations and communities through the ages. 

Read More

With a Thankful Heart

The generous contributions from our supporters have made a significant impact on our mission, and we want to take a moment to express our heartfelt thanks.

Read More