New Digs for Kids Need to Read

Written by Denise Gary
Photographs © Denise Gary

KNTR Office Glows
The warmth of KNTR glows through our window.

We are so excited! September was a momentous month for Kids Need to Read—we moved into our first permanent office!  Mesa/Phoenix has been an amazing home to KNTR, so we are here to stay. Phoenix Comicon, Bookmans Entertainment Exchange, Changing Hands Bookstore, GoDaddy.com, and all of the other wonderful folks in this community who have embraced us so warmly, we thank you all!  We would also like to give a special nod to the folks at Phoenix Book Company who supported KNTR during our earliest days and with whom we still work.

KNTR at OneOhOne

“OneOhOne” on Main Street and MacDonald, in the quaint, original square mile townsite of Mesa, Arizona, provides the home for KNTR.  

KNTR Office at Sunset

Mesa was founded in 1878 by Mormon farming pioneers and this area still has the original layout featuring wide streets to allow room for horse buggies and oxen carts to turn around.  The building housing the KNTR office was once Mesa City Bank, built in 1908.

Mesa City Bank 1908
Mesa City Bank © unknown

It was the first bank in the city of Mesa and comes with its very own prohibition tunnel in the basement.

Prohibition Tunnel
Moonshine was smuggled through the tunnel seen at the top of the photo.

Thank you, Joe Boudrie and the Boudrie clan (Jay, Jen, and Clark), for giving Debb and me a helping hand putting the furniture together.  You made furniture assembly fun! (Did I ever stop laughing?)

Furniture Assembly Team
Debbie Brown, Denise Gary, Jen Boudrie, Jay Boudrie, Clark Boudrie, and Joe Boudrie © Denise Gary

I know I told you it shouldn’t take very long, but yes, day did turn into night.

Assembling Commences

Day Turns into Night

Y’all’s hard work transformed a mess into a pretty working space for us.  It was a huge favor and we appreciate it so much!

KNTR Office

We also thank Staples – Hampton Center and OfficeMax – Springs Power Center, both in Mesa, for giving KNTR some super sweet deals so we would have office furniture to work upon!

Debb Assembles

Many, many thanks to the incredibly wonderful folks who helped us move multitudes of books out of storage and into the space provided at OneOhOne!  You worked unbelievably hard, but boy, we sure had fun.  Why is getting dirty so much fun?  And why does a conveyor belt bring out one’s inner child?  Robert Tabb, Carol Tabb, Nacole Vickery, Carl Wagner, Krista Bricker, Michelle Bricker, and John Bricker – we cannot thank you enough for your kindness!

Book Moving Team
Front row, left to right: Robert Tabb, Denise Gary, and Krista Bricker
Back row, left to right: Debbie Brown, Carl Wagner, Nacole Vickery, Carol Tabb, John Bricker, and Michelle Bricker © Robert Tabb

Debbie and I are so grateful to everyone who has believed in KNTR and who has helped our organization grow.  And now, if you will forgive us, we have a lot of work to do.  Drop by and see us sometime . . . in our office!

Debbie Brown and Denise Gary
Debbie Brown and Denise Gary

Share the Post:

Related Posts

Tis the Season

Once Upon a Time… It was a dark and stormy night… This is the tale that was told to me…: Throughout history, winter has been a season rich in the tradition of storytelling, serving as a captivating blend of entertainment and education for individuals of all ages. This enduring legacy is exemplified in Beowulf, one of the oldest recorded stories, where the narrative opens with a compelling command, “Listen! we have heard of the might of the kings,”. No matter the opening line, the timeless power and importance of story and literacy is in its ability to connect generations and communities through the ages. 

Read More

With a Thankful Heart

The generous contributions from our supporters have made a significant impact on our mission, and we want to take a moment to express our heartfelt thanks.

Read More