Leadership through Literacy: Teen Moms Meet KNTR

By Denise Gary Photographs © Robert Gary I like to think of KNTR books as small embers. Each one has the potential to erupt into a bright flame for a kid that I will never meet. I love that idea – of indirectly changing the life of someone I will never know. But on occasion, […]

KNTR Peace Packages: Violence Prevention for Kids

Written by Denise Gary Responding to the increased need for schools and communities to provide violence prevention programs to their youth, Kids Need to Read has created Peace Packages for every school, library, and literacy program receiving our books. KNTR Peace Packages are designed to provide children of all ages with alternatives to aggression. The […]

How does a Superhero Carry a Drink? Hangin’ at Hero Comics!

Written by Denise Gary Photographs © Denise Gary Story Time with Hawk Eye, by April Grady-Reyna Ah, Free Comic Book Day, a time to pick up some great reads and rub elbows with those who fight evil every day. KNTR supports this annual, nationwide celebration with fervor, believing comics to be a powerful portal to […]

Reading for the Earth!

Written by Rebecca Hipps With Earth Day quickly approaching, (Friday, April 22nd!) there are many ways we can inspire conservation and sustainability in the lives of our children or students through literature.  We can build on the innate love children have for nature and protecting its resources by exposing them to the powerful, action-inciting words […]

Planting the “Poet Tree”

Written by Rebecca Hipps As a child, I loved to write.  I could always be found writing in my journal or creating stories, and had declared that someday I would be a great author.  As I got older and schoolwork or hobbies became more time consuming, I began to lose my dedication to writing.  My […]