Emerging Leaders Help Future Leaders Read More

Many corporations provide leadership training to their employees.  One such company is VT Industries, a frontrunner in laminate countertop manufacturing.  When employees enrolled in VT’s Emerging Leaders Program were tasked with giving back to their community, one group of dedicated workers chose to help The New City School in Long Beach, California.  Theresa Rosales contacted The Kids Need to Read Foundation on the school’s behalf.  She told us that The New City School is a small school in need of several items, including books.

Kids Need to Read contacted The New City School and spoke to Chris Phelps, one of their librarians.  Chris explained that The New City School has two locations, and that both are small, inner-city charter schools.  The two schools combined have a student body of about 450 students who range in age from kindergarten through ninth grade.  Chris was very excited to get word of Kids Need to Read’s interest in helping her school and had this to say:

What a lovely message to receive!  We’d love to get any and all books you have to share.  Both schools are bilingual, so any books in Spanish would also be well received.  Thanks!

Shortly after The Kids Need to Read Foundation sent ninety-three books to The New City School, Chris responded with this update:

A big thank you for all the wonderful books!  As I was unpacking the boxes, I had several visitors passing through the library: students, teachers, and one administrator.  All were so excited to see the new books!  I hope to have the books out on the shelves this week!  All the kids will be very happy!  Thank you so much!

Cheers to VT Industries, Theresa Rosales, and Chris Phelps for helping Kids Need to Read get books to kids!

Share the Post:

Related Posts

Tis the Season

Once Upon a Time… It was a dark and stormy night… This is the tale that was told to me…: Throughout history, winter has been a season rich in the tradition of storytelling, serving as a captivating blend of entertainment and education for individuals of all ages. This enduring legacy is exemplified in Beowulf, one of the oldest recorded stories, where the narrative opens with a compelling command, “Listen! we have heard of the might of the kings,”. No matter the opening line, the timeless power and importance of story and literacy is in its ability to connect generations and communities through the ages. 

Read More

With a Thankful Heart

The generous contributions from our supporters have made a significant impact on our mission, and we want to take a moment to express our heartfelt thanks.

Read More