MICHAEL’S BOOK BYTES: Book Review – Chinese Cinderella

Book Bytes Banner

Chinese Cinderella is about a little girl (Adeline) living in Mainland China and how she is despised by everyone in her family (brothers, sisters, even her own dad) because Adeline’s mother died giving birth to her, and they think she is bad luck.

When Adeline was one, her dad re-married a very vain, bitter woman (whom Adeline calls Niang, another term for “Mother” in Chinese). Niang also hates Adeline.

The only people who support her are her Aunt Baba and her Ye Ye (Grandpa).

Adeline starts succeeding in school in order to be the top in her class. Why? To get her father’s attention, even though it makes her more despised by her siblings.

This is a beautiful memoir meant to be loved and cherished forever – a captivating story about a young girl trying to gain the love of her family and the thrilling moments of her trying to be brave as her Niang yells at her. The book was a great page-turner for me. I rate it an “A” (9.5/10). I really felt it. I could put myself in her shoes and relate to her. I bet this book will bring a tear to your eye! Adeline Yen Mah’s childhood was a sad one, and reading how she made it through really does leave a great feeling inside!

Adeline Yen Mah is now in her seventies. This book takes place from when she was four through high school. Chinese Cinderella is more like an abridged version of Falling Leaves, Mah’s autobiography from when she was little to when she was in her sixties.

Until next time, I’m Michael, and remember: “Life is Always Sweeter with a Little Chocolate!”

Recipe for Egg Custard Tarts (Cantonese: Dan taat)

Ingredients:
One egg + two egg yolks (the yellow part of the egg)
2 Tbsp. powdered sugar (Castor, confectioners)
1/2 Cup milk
Tart shells or puff pastry*

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Beat eggs and pour into milk.
Add the sugar.
Beat all of these together until smooth.
Pour mixture into tart shells/pastry leaving 1/4″ free space.
Place tarts in the oven for ten minutes.

Then reduce the heat to 400 degrees F, and bake another 10-15 minutes.
Get a toothpick and poke a hole in one of the custard tarts. Lift it back up. It should only be a little wet.
Let them cool down. (Note: they might deflate when cooling.)
EAT!!!

* To watch how to prepare puff pastry, go to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un8T3xfF7AA

About Michael

Michael is a seventh grade student who loves to read and cook. That’s right, cook! He joined Kids Need to Read because he thought that it would be a great opportunity to help everyone open up to literacy. “When you read, you read. When you watch TV, you watch TV. When you create a story, you open your mind.” — Michael

Share the Post:

Related Posts

Tis the Season

Once Upon a Time… It was a dark and stormy night… This is the tale that was told to me…: Throughout history, winter has been a season rich in the tradition of storytelling, serving as a captivating blend of entertainment and education for individuals of all ages. This enduring legacy is exemplified in Beowulf, one of the oldest recorded stories, where the narrative opens with a compelling command, “Listen! we have heard of the might of the kings,”. No matter the opening line, the timeless power and importance of story and literacy is in its ability to connect generations and communities through the ages. 

Read More

With a Thankful Heart

The generous contributions from our supporters have made a significant impact on our mission, and we want to take a moment to express our heartfelt thanks.

Read More