Fandom Charities Raises $3,724 for KNTR during Whedonopolis Event Featuring Joss Whedon

By Denise Gary
Photos by Eugene Powers, Shan Ray, and Gayle-Lynne Gordon

I had the pleasure of attending the most recent Whedonopolis screening of Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog at Raleigh Studios in Hollywood. (I confess, this happened several months ago, but I lost track of sharing the news after awaiting pictures.) This was the third time Kids Need to Read has been the fortunate beneficiary of the annual event run by Fandom Charities, Inc. The sold out fundraiser featured an appearance by Mr. Joss Whedon and raised an incredible $3,724 for KNTR!

IMG_0535_dc

I always love getting a chance to visit with these fun folks! It was especially great to meet people who I have communicated with through KNTR’s social media pages.

I have known organizers Kelly Amor and Marsia Powers since the first Whedonopolis screening supporting KNTR in 2009.

IMG_0580_dc

This year held a beautiful blessing for me, as I was unexpectedly introduced to Joss. This afforded me the chance to thank him in person for his major gift to Kids Need to Read at the end of 2014.

IMG_0539_dc_e

Joss has since made another exceedingly generous contribution, so I sincerely appreciate Marsia for thinking of introducing me amidst the hectic proceedings of Mr. Whedon’s arrival!

IMG_0540_dc_e

I was given a chance to address the attendees before the screening, sharing the vital nature of Kids Need to Read’s work on behalf of children who lack access to books. The audience was extremely welcoming!

CRpmIozUkAAnO0y_Gayle-Lynne Gordon_c

One funny thing, I had climbed a flight of stairs immediately before walking on stage without realizing it made me slightly out of breath … until I started talking to the crowd! I tried my best to cover it up, but wasn’t very successful. Obviously, I could use more exercise!

Check out a video of my thank you message, shortness of breath included:

Joss Whedon and Shawna Trpcic entertained the audience afterward. They were hilarious, of course, and much appreciated by their fans.

Take a look at a video of their appearance:

The screening featured lots of raffles and wonderful costumes!

I really enjoyed taking in the hustle and bustle of the enthusiastic crowd. It is always a wonderful experience!

See more videos of the event on the Whedonopolis web site.

Thanks so very much to the attendees, as well as Kelly Amor, Marsia Powers and everyone at Fandom Charities. Your hard work is most appreciated! Heartfelt thanks also to Joss Whedon and Shawna Trpcic for giving of their extremely valuable time to make the screening such a big success for Kids Need to Read! And to the gentleman who so kindly gave me a ride back to my hotel, many blessings upon you!

Kids Need to Read is so grateful to you all! Joss is boss!

Share the Post:

Related Posts

Tis the Season

Once Upon a Time… It was a dark and stormy night… This is the tale that was told to me…: Throughout history, winter has been a season rich in the tradition of storytelling, serving as a captivating blend of entertainment and education for individuals of all ages. This enduring legacy is exemplified in Beowulf, one of the oldest recorded stories, where the narrative opens with a compelling command, “Listen! we have heard of the might of the kings,”. No matter the opening line, the timeless power and importance of story and literacy is in its ability to connect generations and communities through the ages. 

Read More

With a Thankful Heart

The generous contributions from our supporters have made a significant impact on our mission, and we want to take a moment to express our heartfelt thanks.

Read More