Volunteer Spotlight: Nacole Vickery

Interview by Drew Adams
Photographs by Bruce Matsunaga and Robert Gary

One of the not-so-secret ingredients to the success of Kids Need to Read and the work we do is our highly valued team of volunteers. In an effort to show our appreciation and reflect upon their importance, we have interviewed some of the people who help our organization grow, function, and succeed.

Today we are talking with Nacole “NicNac” Vickery, who has been helping support Kids Need to Read’s mission since meeting Executive Director Denise Gary, and former Operations Director and current board member Debbie Brown at the 2010 Phoenix Comicon.

KNTR: Tell us a little bit about yourself and how you became involved with Kids Need to Read.

Nacole: I am a worker bee in corporate America and performer at the local renaissance festival; a geek, bibliophile, and proud kitty mommy; and an all-around cool person!  I was working line control at Phoenix Comicon in 2010 when I met Denise, Debbie, and some of the KNTR volunteers. I learned about who they were and what they do and said: these are my type of people! Bringing books to kids, yes!

After Comicon was over, I got in touch with them and started helping out with little things here and there, helped them with a move in 2011, and got to know them along the way—all while building great friendships in the process.

b-matsunaga-2015-kntr-az-coyotes-8550

What is your favorite thing about working alongside KNTR?

Knowing that we are giving kids all across the nation books and creating programs to help promote reading, not only in school but also at home. Giving kids the tools to learn, expanding their minds, and giving them the keys to a wealth of information that will allow them to grow like flowers.

In what ways have books played a part in your own life?

During a challenging time in my childhood, I found solace in books. Fiction, novels, and magazines became my therapy. My escape. As I would read the stories, I’d fall into them and become a part of the story, be it as an observer of events or as the characters themselves. They enveloped me and played out as a movie in my imagination.

What is one of your favorite books? What are you reading right now?

Just one favorite? [Laughs]

Leon Uris’s Trinity, Anne Rice’s Vampire Chronicles, Stephen King’s Pet Sematary . . . though it has been forever and a day since I’ve read any of those. I am currently reading Dragonfly in Amber, which is the second book in the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon.  I have about five other books in various stages of being read, as well.

matsunaga3496

If you could tell someone one thing about the organization, what would it be?

Kids Need to Read is one of the best group of people I have ever met and have had the pleasure of sharing time with. They are creative, energetic, caring, and kindhearted people who are bringing the magic of reading to kids who would otherwise not have it.

Do you have any final thoughts you would like to share with us?

If you haven’t met the staff—meet them! If you haven’t volunteered—do it! If you haven’t donated—donate! Keep reading alive!

Thanks again for taking the time to talk with us, Nacole!

If you’re interested in volunteering with Kids Need to Read, please write to info@kidsneedtoread.org for more information.

Share the Post:

Related Posts

Tis the Season

Once Upon a Time… It was a dark and stormy night… This is the tale that was told to me…: Throughout history, winter has been a season rich in the tradition of storytelling, serving as a captivating blend of entertainment and education for individuals of all ages. This enduring legacy is exemplified in Beowulf, one of the oldest recorded stories, where the narrative opens with a compelling command, “Listen! we have heard of the might of the kings,”. No matter the opening line, the timeless power and importance of story and literacy is in its ability to connect generations and communities through the ages. 

Read More

With a Thankful Heart

The generous contributions from our supporters have made a significant impact on our mission, and we want to take a moment to express our heartfelt thanks.

Read More