MICHAEL’S BOOK BYTES: An Interview with Brandon Mull

Book Bytes Banner

Time for another blog! Whoop-dee-doo!

Brandon Mull Image
Brandon Mull, the author of the Fablehaven series

Whoop! I interviewed Brandon Mull on the 16th of June, and I’m still hyper from that vente-sized coffee my friend bought for us!

Okay, he actually came on the 24th . . . of April . . . three days after his third book came out. Speaking of the book, let’s talk about it a little bit.

Fablehaven is about two siblings, Seth and Kendra, going to their grandparents’ house and finding a magical preserve with fairies, goblins, and any mythical creatures that you can name. In the first book, they have to save the magical creatures from a witch named Muriel (I think).

The books that are out right now are:

Fablehaven (The first book in the series)
Fablehaven: Rise of the Evening Star (Also known as Fablehaven 2)
Fablehaven: The Grip of the Shadow Plague (Also known as Fablehaven 3. This book also tells you the title of the next Fablehaven book)

I have some good news! I have two more assistants! My best friend Mary and my other friend Savannah came along with me! Mary also brought me to the 2008 Phoenix Cactus Comicon, where I got to meet PJ and the prez (Denise Gary) in person!

Mull Blog Image 2
Mary (left) and Savannah (right). This photo was taken somewhere outside a Harkins Theatre while we were waiting for Savannah’s mom.

For the interview, I called Brandon at a nearby Starbucks. Not the best of choices . . . for one thing, I could barely hear him on my recorder! I don’t know if it was my phone or the recorder.

The Q&A Q&A Q&A Q&A Q&A Q&A Q&A!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!

Q: How are you today?

A: I’m fine! I’m working on Fablehaven 4.

Q: Are you planning to make Fablehaven a movie?

A: Yes. There is a producer who auctioned the movie rights and right now, they are working on the screen play!

Q: Are there going to be 5 movies like there are 5 books?

A: That will be the plan.

Q: Will it be live-action, animated, or CGI (which stands for Computer-Generated Imagery)?

A: It will be live-action.

Q: What inspired you to write Fablehaven?

A: Well, my house had really big trees so I pretended that creatures lived there and that gave me an idea for a story – a place in the world where magical creatures actually existed. I liked that idea and started asking questions like, “What type of creatures would live there?”

Q: Are you making it up as you go along or do you have it planned out?

A: I have it planned out.

The rest was inaudible.

Okay, well, there are no more author visits until September, when PJ Haarsma himself comes over!!!!! And in December, Frank Beddor will be coming too! Tony’s cousin knows Frank (or so he says . . . I don’t really believe him).

Until next time, remember: Life is sweeter with more chocolate! TEE-

Tres Leche Cake (Made with special Fablehaven milk!)

Original link: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_36975,00.html (Alton Brown is my hero!)

Cake Ingredients:
Vegetable oil
6 3/4 ounce cake flour, plus extra for the pan
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
4 ounces unsalted butter, room temperature
8 ounces sugar
5 whole eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil and flour a 13 by 9-inch metal pan and set aside.

Whisk together the cake flour, baking powder and salt in a medium mixing bowl and set aside.

Place the butter into the bowl of a stand mixer. Using the paddle attachment, beat on medium speed until fluffy, approximately 1 minute. Decrease the speed to low and with the mixer still running, gradually add the sugar over 1 minute. Stop to scrape down the sides of the bowl, if necessary. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, and mix to thoroughly combine. Add the vanilla extract and mix to combine. Add the flour mixture to the batter in 3 batches and mix just until combined. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and spread evenly. This will appear to be a very small amount of batter. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until the cake is lightly golden and reaches an internal temperature of 200 degrees F.

Remove the cake pan to a cooling rack and allow to cool for 30 minutes. Poke the top of the cake all over with a skewer or fork. Allow the cake to cool completely and then prepare the glaze.

For the glaze:
1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup half-and-half

Whisk together the evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk and the half-and-half in a 1-quart measuring cup. Once combined, pour the glaze over the cake. Refrigerate the cake overnight.

For the topping:
2 cups heavy cream
8 ounces sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Place the heavy cream, sugar and vanilla into the bowl of a stand mixer (if you use hand mixer, it will take twice as long). Using the whisk attachment, whisk together on low until stiff peaks are formed. Change to medium speed and whisk until thick. Spread the topping over the cake and allow to chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.

***Note: If you want a better taste, use special Fablehaven milk. How do you get it? Get a special cow, or go to the Fablehaven preserve. Drive until you see a gravel driveway. Turn. You will see no sign of the house, only the driveway angling out of sight into the trees. You will pass several signs saying that you’re on private property. Other signs will ward off trespassers. You will come to a low metal gate that hangs open, but can be shut to prevent access. (From pages 6-7 of the novel Fablehaven)***

About Michael

Michael is a sixth grade student who loves to read and cook. That’s right, cook! He joined Kids Need to Read because he thought that it would be a great opportunity to help everyone open up to literacy. “When you read, you read. When you watch TV, you watch TV. When you create a story, you open your mind.” — Michael
Book Bytes Banner

Share the Post:

Related Posts

Tis the Season

Once Upon a Time… It was a dark and stormy night… This is the tale that was told to me…: Throughout history, winter has been a season rich in the tradition of storytelling, serving as a captivating blend of entertainment and education for individuals of all ages. This enduring legacy is exemplified in Beowulf, one of the oldest recorded stories, where the narrative opens with a compelling command, “Listen! we have heard of the might of the kings,”. No matter the opening line, the timeless power and importance of story and literacy is in its ability to connect generations and communities through the ages. 

Read More

With a Thankful Heart

The generous contributions from our supporters have made a significant impact on our mission, and we want to take a moment to express our heartfelt thanks.

Read More