MICHAEL’S BOOK BYTES: A Conversation with Kaza Kingsley

Book Bytes Banner

Hey Guys! Before we go on with this installment, I would like to thank the following people:

Thanks to Tony for being my assistant, and to Tony’s mom for the rides! I would also like to thank Mrs. Morris, my teacher, for helping me stay informed. I’d also like to say thanks to my editor Colleen, Kristen, and Denise, the Prez.

Michael and Kaza
Me with Kaza

Okay! Back on Track! Kaza Kingsley, the author of the Erec Rex series, came to the Barnes & Noble in Dana Park here in Arizona!

Her book series Erec Rex is based on Heracles. Heracles (or Hercules to the Romans) had to go through 12 deadly challenges and so does Erec Rex. There are currently two books released in the series: Erec Rex: The Dragon’s Eye and Erec Rex: The Monster of Otherness.

Erec Rex is also very popular in Thailand!

Erec Rex in Thailand
Erec Rex: The Dragon’s Eye in Thai!

Kaza Kingsley had to get up at four o’clock in the morning to talk via satellite to the people in Thailand at the book fair.

Kaza Talking Via Satellite
Kaza talking via satellite.

The Q&A!!!

Q: Are there going to be 12 books?

A: There will be eight books.

Q: Will you extend the 8 book limit thing?

A: No, because it is well plotted out, but I’m doing other side books to Erec Rex as well.

Q: Who is your favorite character and why?

A: Erec (of course :)) because he was the brother I’ve never had.

Q: Do you know about KNTR?

A: No.

Q: Is the book going to be a movie?

A: There is an agent that is taking the book to producers to try to get it into a movie.

Q: Is the movie going to be live-action?

A: I hope so. That’s what I want.

Q: Do you know how many movies there are going to be?

A: I don’t know.

Q: Where did you first get the idea?

A: I first got the idea in New Jersey, and I had been thinking about what I had to write, and I had been reading a lot of mythology. So I got it from my imagination and mythology.

Q: Who inspired you as a kid?

A: All of the books that I read because I loved books (like me! Except I love books instead of loved), and I also had some teachers that were inspirational as well.

Q: What are your favorite books?

A: I can’t even pick because there are so many books that I love. Pretty much any books that I have read are usually my favorite.

Q: When did you first start writing?

A: I started writing when I was in first grade, and I loved writing all the time, and I just never stopped.

Q: Do you remember your first story?

A: Yes. Well, I remember one of my first ones. I’m not positive with my first one, but it was one of my first ones. And it was about an octopus. An undersea adventure.

Q: What is the name of your next book?

A: The next book is called The Search for Truth; that is coming out next fall.

Q: Are you planning on making a graphic novel? (AKA a comic book! Tony is hooked on the Hatter M. series, so he just had to ask that question.)

A: There are no plans of that happening, so no.

Q: Have you ever, or plan to work on a book with another author?

A: I don’t think I want to do that because I like having control over the characters and the world myself. I mean, I love doing it (writing), and I love doing it myself, but to do it with another author . . . I don’t think that I would enjoy it as much.

Q: Do you like cooking? (I just had to ask this question! XD!)

A: Yes, I do. Well, sometimes. It depends. I like to bake cookies and make fun things, but I don’t always like to cook. It depends on my mood.

Q: Do you have any homemade recipes?

A: Well, what I’m planning to do is for me to collect recipes for a cool kids cook book.

Q: Do you have a favorite part in your books?

A: I think I like the ending of part 2.

A MESSAGE AND RECIPE FROM KAZA KINGSLEY

Hey Michael!

Thanks again for the interview. You are a great kid, and it’s been fun to get to meet you!

Let me know when your blog is up – I’d love to see it.

Right now I’m dying for the traditional Toll House chocolate chip cookies, so here is the recipe:

Original Nestlé® Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients:
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
1 cup chopped nuts

Directions:
PREHEAT oven to 375° F.

COMBINE flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in morsels and nuts. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.

BAKE for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.

~ Kaza

About Michael

Michael is a sixth grade student who loves to read and cook. That’s right, cook! He joined Kids Need to Read because he thought that it would be a great opportunity to help everyone open up to literacy. “When you read, you read. When you watch TV, you watch TV. When you create a story, you open your mind.” — Michael

Book Bytes Banner

Share the Post:

Related Posts

Tis the Season

Once Upon a Time… It was a dark and stormy night… This is the tale that was told to me…: Throughout history, winter has been a season rich in the tradition of storytelling, serving as a captivating blend of entertainment and education for individuals of all ages. This enduring legacy is exemplified in Beowulf, one of the oldest recorded stories, where the narrative opens with a compelling command, “Listen! we have heard of the might of the kings,”. No matter the opening line, the timeless power and importance of story and literacy is in its ability to connect generations and communities through the ages. 

Read More

With a Thankful Heart

The generous contributions from our supporters have made a significant impact on our mission, and we want to take a moment to express our heartfelt thanks.

Read More