KNTR Ho-Ho-Holiday Party

by Denise Gary
Photographs © Robert Gary

There are so many folks who provide kindness, hard work, and hilarity to Kids Need to Read year-round! Thanks to our friends at Bookmans and Kiki’s Cupcake Service, we were able to show our deep appreciation to the organization’s volunteers and supporters at the annual KNTR holiday party. Per tradition, it was filled with an overdose of sweets, a ruthless Geek ornament exchange, and plenty of ho-ho-ho by everyone!

Geek lights on the KNTR Christmas tree welcomed guests!

A little literacy organization humor!

Phoenix Comicon Programming Director Joe Boudrie arrived bearing ornaments, one wrapped in an Arby’s bag!

Author Janette Rallison brought ornaments for the Geek ornament exchange, as well as a gift of ten hardcover copies of Erasing Time!

As the guests arrived, so did the food.

A table full of sweets was provided by Kiki’s Cupcake Service, sponsored by Bookmans.

I expounded upon the merits of keeping Dr Pepper in a cozy.

The lens was turned upon photographer Robert Gary.

We were presented with this beautiful, handmade donation jar!

John Dlouhy was the artisan and made the first donation.

I filled everyone in on KNTR’s year.

Debb added a few words.

Then it was time for the Geek ornament exchange to begin!

A steal!

Guy received a pink unicorn!

I had to go with the Arby’s gift wrapping!

I gave the evil eye to ward off anyone who might dare to steal my ornament.

Alas, it was stolen!

There was grumbling!

But then I stole something else spectacular!

There was a lot of jovial conniving . . .

. . . and jubilation . . .

. . . and thieving . . .

. . . and Gene Simmons!

It was inevitable the pink unicorn would change hands!

A match made in Geekdom!

Thank you, Lori Cothrun and Bookmans, for making our year-end celebration possible and for your continuous support year-round.

Peace on Earth to one and all!

More Photos: KNTR Ho-Ho-Holiday Party Gallery

Share the Post:

Related Posts

Tis the Season

Once Upon a Time… It was a dark and stormy night… This is the tale that was told to me…: Throughout history, winter has been a season rich in the tradition of storytelling, serving as a captivating blend of entertainment and education for individuals of all ages. This enduring legacy is exemplified in Beowulf, one of the oldest recorded stories, where the narrative opens with a compelling command, “Listen! we have heard of the might of the kings,”. No matter the opening line, the timeless power and importance of story and literacy is in its ability to connect generations and communities through the ages. 

Read More

With a Thankful Heart

The generous contributions from our supporters have made a significant impact on our mission, and we want to take a moment to express our heartfelt thanks.

Read More