KNTR Lulls Pajama-clad Lions with Books

By Denise Gary
Photographs © Denise Gary and Bill Worbington

Yes, it was an interesting weekend, filled with Lions in pajamas, Lions with books, and Lions in bed! Lions Club Lions, to be more specific. Throughout 2012–2013, Kids Need to Read has been actively supporting Lions International’s “Reading Action Program.” One of our supporting activities was to provide 800 children’s books to Lions members attending the Breakfast for Dinner Pajama Party during the annual Lions Club Leadership Conference in Prescott, Arizona. The Lions took these book packs home to read to children or to be read to by children after the conference.

Many Lions helped tie up bundles of books.

The book bundles were topped off with a KNTR literacy button.

An instruction card explained how to use the books.

Lions Bill Worbington and Barbara Worbington helped me arrange the books before the Pajama Party.

The books were displayed for Lions to pick up at the end of the evening.

Debb and Mesa Host Lions Club attendees pose for a group picture in our PJ best. I was completely surprised when I won a prize for my Dr Seuss-style headwear.

Pictured, left to right: District Governor Carolyn White, Lions Foundation of Arizona Executive Director George Hill, Mesa Host Lions Club President Bill Worbington, Mesa Host Lions Club Treasurer Barbara Worbington, Kids Need to Read Executive Director and Mesa Host Lion Denise Gary, and Kids Need to Read Operations Director Debbie Brown © Bill Worbington

The party’s photo booth featured a bedtime reading scenario.

Breakfast was served!

I spoke at the dinner and presented Conference Director Barbara Daily with a gift on KNTR’s behalf for the great job she did organizing the event.

Many thanks to all the attending Lions, but most especially Lions Barbara Daily, Barbara Worbington, and Bill Worbington, for warmly welcoming Kids Need to Read throughout the weekend. Debb and I had a terrific time! Work? What work?

More Photos: Lions Club Sixteenth MD21 Leadership Forum & Mid-Year Conference

Share the Post:

Related Posts

Tis the Season

Once Upon a Time… It was a dark and stormy night… This is the tale that was told to me…: Throughout history, winter has been a season rich in the tradition of storytelling, serving as a captivating blend of entertainment and education for individuals of all ages. This enduring legacy is exemplified in Beowulf, one of the oldest recorded stories, where the narrative opens with a compelling command, “Listen! we have heard of the might of the kings,”. No matter the opening line, the timeless power and importance of story and literacy is in its ability to connect generations and communities through the ages. 

Read More

With a Thankful Heart

The generous contributions from our supporters have made a significant impact on our mission, and we want to take a moment to express our heartfelt thanks.

Read More