World Book Night 2012

By Rachael Berkey

It has been popping up everywhere around the internet. Well-known authors are tweeting about it. Publishing executives are blogging about it. And everyone in between has been retweeting, commenting on blogs and sharing posts across social media because the idea is actually that cool.

The event I am talking about is World Book Night and it is happening in just a few days. What is World Book Night, you ask? It’s a social cause to promote reading and literacy that started in the UK and has been brought over to the US. On April 23rd, thousands of people will go out into their communities to distribute specially chosen paperback books to adults who may not have easy access to affordable books, library services, or just because they express interest.

The thirty titles that have been selected for 2012 are from a slew of different publishing houses and include The Kite Runner, The History of Love, Poisonwood Bible, The Things They Carried, and I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings. These titles are specifically geared towards adult readers, though there are a handful of books that can be classified as Young Adult, such as The Hunger Games and The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian.

The organization has been asked why they are not giving books to children, and the answer actually coincides with where I must assume the question originates, too. Most literacy-focused nonprofits give books to children. It is important to encourage a love of reading from a young age, as we at Kids Need to Read all know. But that does not mean we should ignore other audiences that might need similar encouragement.

The books that givers pick up for distribution were specially printed and are not for resale. Authors have forgone royalties for these copies and the list of sponsors include American book publishers, the American Booksellers Association, Barnes & Noble, the American Library Association, the Association of American Publishers, Ingram Book Company, UPS, and a dozen printers and binders.

It is too late to sign up to be a giver this year. But keep an eye out on April 23rd in your community. The organization’s goal is to spread these books from town squares to nursing homes to food pantries. They hope this will transcend socioeconomic, cultural and geographic lines to reach every corner of the country.

It is so important that we do not stop encouraging reading as our kids grow up. I cannot wait to get more involved with the group next year. Make sure you spread the word!

You can find out more about World Book Night on their website.

Share the Post:

Related Posts

Tis the Season

Once Upon a Time… It was a dark and stormy night… This is the tale that was told to me…: Throughout history, winter has been a season rich in the tradition of storytelling, serving as a captivating blend of entertainment and education for individuals of all ages. This enduring legacy is exemplified in Beowulf, one of the oldest recorded stories, where the narrative opens with a compelling command, “Listen! we have heard of the might of the kings,”. No matter the opening line, the timeless power and importance of story and literacy is in its ability to connect generations and communities through the ages. 

Read More

With a Thankful Heart

The generous contributions from our supporters have made a significant impact on our mission, and we want to take a moment to express our heartfelt thanks.

Read More