Written by Denise Gary
Photograph © American Library Association

Kids Need to Read (KNTR) has arranged for actor Nathan Fillion to appear on an upcoming American Library Association (ALA) celebrity READ poster.  Currently starring in the ABC hit television show Castle, Fillion is a founder of KNTR.  The poster pays tribute to the actor’s science fiction cult status, resulting from his past role as Captain Malcolm Reynolds on the television show Firefly and motion picture Serenity.  Even more exciting, the actor’s book of choice for the poster is The Softwire: Awakening on Orbis 4, which is the fourth novel in a young adult science fiction series written by KNTR Founder PJ Haarsma.  The art design focuses on outer space and the Rings of Orbis, which is the setting of The Softwire Series.  It is a double-whammy of KNTR founder sci-fi geekiness and is so very beautiful!

READ Poster

You will be able to get your own copy of the poster at the ALA online store when it is released in mid-July.  [Edit: The poster is now available here.]  The product description will feature information about Kids Need to Read.  Past celebrities who have appeared on the series of posters include Denzel Washington, Alan Rickman, Anthony Hopkins, Hilary Swank, Ewan McGregor, William H. Macy, Dakota Fanning, Colin Farrell, Hugh Laurie, Orlando Bloom, Keira Knightley, Eva Mendes, Salma Hayak, Julia Stiles, Ethan Hawk, John Leguizamo, Ice Cube, Bill Gates, Stephan Hawking, and many sports stars.  The READ posters promote libraries, literacy, lifelong learning, and reading, and are sold to support the mission of the ALA.

The ALA is generously providing KNTR with copies of the poster for the recipients of our book donations.  They will be a wonderful inspiration to children lacking in reading mentors.  Thank you to everyone at the American Library Association and to our founders, PJ Haarsma and Nathan Fillion, for promoting literacy through this project.

Comments

33 Responses to “Nathan Fillion Featured on Upcoming ALA Celebrity READ Poster”

1. Deb on June 16th, 2010 1:30 am

OHHH Wow it’s so shiny! Absoutley gorgeous poster to support a fantastic cause. Can’t wait to get one, thanks for the sneak peak x

2. Denise Gary on June 16th, 2010 1:36 am

Wait until you see it larger!!! :)

3. NJRae on June 16th, 2010 2:23 am

I bet I can talk my 10 year old son into hanging this very shiny poster in his room- since it has the Captain and the Softwire.

Thanks for the preview and the great work you guys are doing getting books in the hands of children. The gift of reading is the greatest gift because reading unlocks the door to fulfilling your dreams.

Let me know if you guys want to open an East coast branch.

4. Kristin on June 16th, 2010 3:30 am

Nice!!! Well done.

5. MJ on June 16th, 2010 8:01 am

That is a great looking poster! How exciting for KNTR!

6. Jennifer Rayment on June 16th, 2010 11:17 am

I am soooo getting one of those for my office, I am a Librarian — maybe I can expense it ; )

7. Denise Gary on June 16th, 2010 3:04 pm

Thank you, everyone! I think the ALA did a great job on it. The posters are a fantastic way to support literacy and libraries.

8. Karen Joyce on June 16th, 2010 5:01 pm

Oh goodness I NEED one of these!! Wonderful! :)

9. Janet M. on June 17th, 2010 12:10 am

What a wonderful way to promote librarys and literacy! Getting books where they are needed most, into childrens hands. It opens their minds to a whole new world and teaches them that their dreams can come true.

And it doesn’t hurt that there is talented actor who happens to be ruggedly handsome on the poster! Great picture Nathan!

10. Miri on June 17th, 2010 7:16 am

Ah! It’s Captain Tightpants! Reading, Nathan Fillion, and 2 of his most beloved roles all in one. Love it.

11. karen s. on June 17th, 2010 7:51 pm

Nice choice on the artistic direction and your choice of Nathan Fillion!

12. Fresh From Twitter today « Pictures Tell The Story on July 2nd, 2010 3:59 pm

[...] He’s commanding you to read so DO IT. @nathanfillion & Kids Need to Read…they donated books to our Volunteer Library! http://bit.ly/9hKAe5 [...]

13. John Csakany on July 2nd, 2010 4:01 pm

I love Mal, but Shepard BOOK would’ve been a more obvious choice, dontcha think?

14. Denise Gary on July 2nd, 2010 4:04 pm

It would be great if the ALA would feature Ron Glass on one of their posters! :)

15. Mark Weaver on July 2nd, 2010 6:12 pm

Thats a good poster! I bet Ron Glass would love to read for the ALA. I could take his reading any day. It would be super if Ron and Nate did a Audio book of pomes or something!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark Weaver

16. Nick Wreden on July 3rd, 2010 2:53 am

It’s things like these that truly make me admire this man. I had the pleasure of meeting him last year at the San Diego Comic Con and he was incredibly kind. Good work, guys, great poster.

17. Susan Mitchell (Tsuz) on July 4th, 2010 8:51 am

Would be cool if a calendar was done with pics of all those who have been on the READ posters!!

18. ALM on July 7th, 2010 9:33 am

This is so awesome!! You guys made Wednesday’s IMDB Hit List!!

Congrats and what a great cause! Love you guys!

19. Edmontonhawk on July 7th, 2010 10:54 am

Totally understandable, since both of his parents are English teachers!

20. Sonia James on July 7th, 2010 12:52 pm

Castle needs to write a young adult mystery.

Fantastic job on your mission!

21. Denise Gary on July 7th, 2010 12:55 pm

That’s a great idea, Sonia! After all, he does have a teenage daughter.

22. Libraries and Nathan Fillion « A Simile for Her Smile on July 7th, 2010 3:09 pm
  23. Susie on July 8th, 2010 12:24 pm

Ron Glass would be a great choice:

1) At 65 he is still mighty fine to look at! ;)

2) He is an absolute gem of a human being.

3) He is heavily involved with the Al Wooten Jr. Heritage Center, where south central LA kids can go after school for tutoring, games, etc.

24. geraline k. james aka Crewchief on July 8th, 2010 11:04 pm

Wow shiny..Nathan..as a previous person who donated and won myself one of the shiny terrifying space monkeys signed by Jewel Staite..I shall have to aquire the lovely poster for the kids..and as a browncoat who loves to read..what more can one say..the stories from books bring so much to us..we cannot lose that..we need our imaginations to continue to thrive..even if we some are over the hill..thanks..stay shiny all and thanks again Nathan

25. Libby on July 12th, 2010 3:39 pm

Just ordered it from the ALA store. This poster is Double Rainbow all the Way!

26. amanda on July 13th, 2010 1:57 am

need one for my daughter. we named her serenity firefly.

27. Libby on July 18th, 2010 8:06 pm

Love Nathan Fillion and reading. Just received it in the mail and it is DRATW! Hoping to hang it in my classroom in the fall. :)

28. Denise Gary on July 18th, 2010 8:16 pm

Wonderful, Libby! I hope it will help inspire your students to read. :)

29. Pattie Romo on September 13th, 2010 7:18 pm

I’m a big fan of Nathan Fillion’s and I just received my poster. It is awesome and a great addition to my Nathan collection. Thank you Nathan for being a part of the Read at you Local Libraries campaign.

30. Denise Gary on September 13th, 2010 10:36 pm

We are so happy to hear how much you like your new poster, Pattie!

31. Sheila Lyall on April 28th, 2011 2:31 am

This is a beautiful poster. It is gratifying to see another of my favorite actors doing something for others. It doesn’t get much more important than providing books to children. I remember all the trips we took to the library as kids with my mother and it would be so nice to know that all children have the same opportunities.

Thank you Nathan and all others that support this cause. You are ALL Shiny human beings!

32. Denise Gary on May 12th, 2011 2:17 am

Thank you, Sheila!

33. Tod JONSON on July 24th, 2011 10:05 pm

My entire family has adopted Nathan Fillion as a member of our family. He is so natural and at easy that he makes the world a better place to be in. Basically it is the entire cast of CASTLE that creates this, but Fillion has made this series our very favorite of all television series, past and present.

We have created our own NATHAN FILLION FAN CLUB and remain religious to promoting him forever.

Many thanks for giving us someone to believe in.

Tod Jonson,
    Newspaper Reviewer
    Cambridge Man of the Year

Leave a Reply