Nathan Fillion’s Famous Bean Dip Proves to be an Inspiration at Creation’s SERENITY Convention

Written by Denise Gary
Photos © Denise Gary

Last November, I took a little drive to Los Angeles to attend Creation Entertainment Salutes Serenity and Firefly.  (Those of you who follow our KNTR tweets may remember that I was “followed” by the infamous Unshaved Poodle during my drive.)  I jumped at the chance to talk about Kids Need to Read at the Sunday Morning Celebrity Brunch.

Talking About KNTR

This was well worth the trip, but something unexpected proved to be a magical surprise – bean dip.  Not just any bean dip.  The enchantment emanated from seven layer bean dip “pilfered” from Kids Need to Read Co-founder Nathan Fillion.  Sometimes wishes can be fulfilled by employing the most modest of methods.  Read on to see how the thoughtful resourcefulness of our co-founder and his “thieving” friend, Alan Tudyk, resulted in a most ingenious fundraiser.  Better yet is how KNTR put those funds to work (which is why this story is only now being told).

Alan Tudyk, Jewel Staite and Mark Sheppard
Alan Tudyk, Jewel Staite and Mark Sheppard

The Celebrity Brunch featured table time with Firefly/Serenity stars Alan Tudyk, Jewel Staite, and Mark Sheppard.  One of my favorite moments was watching the entire audience surge forward in front of the stars during the photo op.

Sea of Photographers

I enjoyed having an opportunity to explain the urgency of Kids Need to Read’s work at the brunch.  I thank Adam Malin, Co-CEO of Creation Entertainment, for kindly offering this privilege to me.  (Thanks also, Stephanie and Leticia!)  Whedonopolis presented a $5,004.79 check to KNTR, which was the result of their Dr. Horrible’s Sing-A-Long Blog Halloween fundraiser for our foundation.  The “Horrible” event had been amazing and I was so grateful to receive such a fantastic contribution from this very friendly group of Whedon fans.

Whedonopolis Check
Adam Malin and Whedonopolis crew present fundraising check to Denise Gary.

The Sunday brunch featured a silent auction, of which KNTR received $1, 031 of the proceeds.  QMx arranged for Kids Need to Read to be a beneficiary of the auction.  Many thanks to Andy Gore and Beth Nelson for this wonderful surprise!

QMx Crew
Andy Gore, Denise Gary, and Beth Nelson

After the brunch, I got to hang around with the cast and crew of Browncoats: Redemption, who as you can see, always put their muscle behind their support of KNTR.

Denise, Heather and the Men of Redemption
Front: writer/director Michael Dougherty; Middle: Denise Gary; Back: Heather Fagan, Brian Wiser, John Patrick Barry, Logan Liskovec, and Mike “Meticulous” Ahrens

I was invited to be a part of the Redemption panel, where I was able to give away KNTR 2010 calendars to audience members who asked questions.  The Redemption folks gave away bottles of Jones Pure Cane Soda with special Browncoats: Redemption labels on them.  They are so cool, I have not been able to bring myself to drink mine!  Writer/director Michael Dougherty also gave away KNTR Terrify’n Space Monkeys as prizes for the best questions.  (Or would the trouble-making simians be considered penalties?)

Heather Fagin & Terrify'n Space Monkey
Heather gives some love to her newly adopted KNTR Terrify’n Space Monkey.

Most exciting was the showing of the latest Browncoats: Redemption trailer.  (Shout-out to editor Andrew Louis Marnik for a job well-done!)  The film will premiere this September at Dragon*Con, with proceeds from the DVD sales partially benefiting Kids Need to Read.  I am really looking forward to seeing the film.  KNTR has supported this project from the beginning, so it has been such a pleasure to watch it progress, and to witness Michael and crew pour their hearts into the film.  What a great, dedicated bunch of folks!  Thanks for all you do for Kids Need to Read!

John Patrick Barry and Heather Fagin
Browncoats: Redemption stars John Patrick Barry and Heather Fagan signed autographs after the panel.

After the panel, I had the honor of meeting Deann Derrett, who purchased a Terrify’n Space Monkey to help encourage the young boy she tutors in reading.  Her devotion to literacy volunteer work with children was obvious.  I can think of no better use for our irresistible, furry critters than as an aid to inspire literacy.

Deann Derrett & Terrify'n Space Monkey
Deann Derrett and Her “Literacy Aid”

Alan Tudyk took the stage later in the afternoon.  In the middle of his talk, he received a phone call from Nathan Fillion.  Nathan was inquiring about the odd disappearance of his special seven layer bean dip, which he noticed was missing after Alan had left his house.  The bean dip sat in a chair next to Alan during the entire conversation!

Alan Talks to Nathan's Bean Dip
Alan talks to Fillion’s Famous Dip! Photo © iheartmuseums

Alan told Nathan he had the missing dip and he was going to auction it off for Kids Need to Read.  The audience laughed uproariously.  Alan followed through with his threat and auctioned the culinary delight, along with some Serenity memorabilia, for a whopping $375!  It was a moment so inspiring, that we put the donation money aside to wait for just the right need – something profound to match the humble nature of the gift.  We found that need in a class of middle school special education kids who believed that no one cared about them.  Now they know differently, thanks to Kids Need to Read and our supporters.  You will find that story posted tomorrow.

Jose Wins Nathan's Bean Dip
Jose wins the treasured concoction!

After the panel, when the stars were signing autographs, a convention attendee suggested to the audience and organizers that they put a collection jar next to Alan so that people could further donate to KNTR.  That thoughtful suggestion resulted in $333 more for KNTR.  After I left the signing, I happened upon Jose’s bean dip sharing party.  Guess who got the last bite?

"KNTR" Gets the Last Bite

If you would like to try this yummy dip yourself, see Nathan’s recipe below, delivered in his signature humorous style.

Much more fun was had during my day at Creation, including meeting Lindsay Coderre, the winner of the Kids Need to Read banner contest, and Heidi Berthiaume, another banner contestant who came bearing fabulous Texas treasures for this displaced Texan.

KNTR Banner Contest Winner
Lindsay Coderre and Denise

Texas Treasures
Denise and Heidi Berthiaume

I was able to meet many other wonderful people, as well as catch up with old friends.  Thanks, everyone, for the kindness and friendship!  Check back tomorrow to see how Nathan Fillion’s bean dip gave some kids the respect they deserved.  Don’t forget to grab Nathan’s recipe below!

KNTR Friends
Denise poses with friends of KNTR: actor John Patrick Barry, KNTR volunteer Colleen Harkins, Sending a Wave podcaster Wendy Scott, writer/director Michael Dougherty, and actor Heather Fagan.

Please read part two of this story: Columbia Middle School: Nathan Fillion Illustrates the Strength of Kindness!

More Creation Serenity/Firefly Convention Photos

SFX blog in support of Kids Need to Read, Nathan Fillion, and PJ Haarsma Part of  “SFX Summer of SF Reading” at sfx.co.uk.  SFX has been a great supporter of KNTR from our beginnings!

Browncoats: Redemption Podcast Interview Executive Director Denise Gary talks about the work of Kids Need to Read, sending positive messages to the forgotten children of poverty, Nathan Fillion fangirliness, enjoying life to the fullest, the impact of Fillion Fans for Kids Need to Read, and KNTR plans for Phoenix Comicon.

NATHAN”S SUPER SECRET LOW-FAT SPACE BEAN DIP
[As written by Nathan Fillion]

Get yourself a casserole pan or some such big, flat container.
Layer 1: 1 large can of refried beans (they are already 99% fat free).
Layer 2: Approx. 1 1/2 cups salsa (canned or jar) mixed with 2 soft, ripe avocados. Mush your avocados first, it will be easier to mix.
Layer 3: Mix a package of TACO SEASONING into a medium container of low fat sour cream.
Layer 4: 4 tomatoes, diced.
Layer 5: One small can of diced green chiles. NOT JALAPENOS!! TRUST ME!!
Layer 6: One small can of diced black olives.
Layer 8 [sic]: SHREDDED cheese – I use the bag of pre-shredded, four Mexican cheeses.

DON’T FORGET, BROWNCOATS:

This is a hearty dip that requires a sturdy tortilla chip, and will have you “repeating” the next day. Don’t say I didn’t warn you!

Share the Post:

Related Posts

Tis the Season

Once Upon a Time… It was a dark and stormy night… This is the tale that was told to me…: Throughout history, winter has been a season rich in the tradition of storytelling, serving as a captivating blend of entertainment and education for individuals of all ages. This enduring legacy is exemplified in Beowulf, one of the oldest recorded stories, where the narrative opens with a compelling command, “Listen! we have heard of the might of the kings,”. No matter the opening line, the timeless power and importance of story and literacy is in its ability to connect generations and communities through the ages. 

Read More

With a Thankful Heart

The generous contributions from our supporters have made a significant impact on our mission, and we want to take a moment to express our heartfelt thanks.

Read More