New Year, New Name, New Priorities

Kids Need to Read is entering the New Year full of enthusiasm and exciting changes.  Our legal name, The Kids Need to Read Foundation, has been shortened to our common name.  We are now simply, “Kids Need to Read.”  Continuing on the simplicity track, our mission statement has been reduced from bullet points to one streamlined sentence:

Kids Need to Read works to create a culture of reading for children by providing inspiring books to under-funded schools, libraries, and literacy programs across the United States, especially those serving disadvantaged children.

After serving for nearly two years as the chairman of the Kids Need to Read Board of Directors, I have decided it is time for me to step down so that I can fully concentrate on my responsibilities as CEO of the organization.  Kids Need to Read continues to grow rapidly, giving us many opportunities to “provide a culture of reading for children.”  My focus and desire is to implement new program strategies to make Kids Need to Read not only a provider of much needed reading material, but to provide uplifting, positive influences for the at-risk children we serve.  These unique strategies will increase the effectiveness of Kids Need to Read’s donations.

In addition to a new chairman, the Kids Need to Read board continues to grow.  We are selecting directors with impeccable credentials, all chosen to add their particular expertise to our program.  We continue to receive the most encouraging testimonials, telling us that our gifts are truly making an impact on the kids.  The new nonfiction and graphic novels have been a huge hit.  Our book list is currently being reviewed to make sure every book we provide sparks positive change.

Poverty-stricken kids with little support from home, illiterate juvenile offenders in remedial programs, special education students who are not being given the resources they need for a solid education . . . these are among the many children Kids Need to Read assists.  Some may deem them unworthy.  Kids Need to Read knows better.  These children can become literate, productive members of society, and it is our society’s responsibility to make sure that every one of them does.  Whatever time it takes, whatever money it takes, whatever resources it takes, no child should be turned out of elementary school without the ability to read well.  Do this and watch our crime and welfare rates fall.  Why is this not the number one priority of our country?

All of us at Kids Need to Read wish everyone the happiest of New Years.  We plan to make 2010 a great year for empowering the children we serve.  Thank you for supporting our efforts to make a difference in the lives of these kids!

Denise Gary
Executive Director

Share the Post:

Related Posts

Tis the Season

Once Upon a Time… It was a dark and stormy night… This is the tale that was told to me…: Throughout history, winter has been a season rich in the tradition of storytelling, serving as a captivating blend of entertainment and education for individuals of all ages. This enduring legacy is exemplified in Beowulf, one of the oldest recorded stories, where the narrative opens with a compelling command, “Listen! we have heard of the might of the kings,”. No matter the opening line, the timeless power and importance of story and literacy is in its ability to connect generations and communities through the ages. 

Read More

With a Thankful Heart

The generous contributions from our supporters have made a significant impact on our mission, and we want to take a moment to express our heartfelt thanks.

Read More