Where’s Waldo, Kids Need to Read Style

Written by Laura McConnell

When a group of determined people get together and decide to make something happen, the results can be truly amazing. Kids Need to Read is proof of that, but we are by no means the only group in this wide, wide world to exemplify that trait.

The folks at Browncoats: Redemption do a pretty fine job of it, too. Their fan-made film, which is due for release next September, is the result of months of hard work by too many volunteers to name. The fact that things are on schedule for a preview to be released at Dragon*Con in just two short weeks is truly an accomplishment. But that’s not the only thing Redemption has to crow about. Making a film is one thing. Donating the monies made from said film to charity is quite another. And starting that trend of giving before the film is even finished? Truly spectacular! And that’s just what Mike Dougherty and the other creators of Redemption have done!

Through an early donation drive, the people of Redemption raised enough money to cover the costs of a booth and signage for KNTR at Dragon*Con, and Kids Need to Read is one of several charities that will benefit from the profits made from the sale of Redemption on DVD next year.

Wow! That’s an awesome commitment to Kids Need to Read, and we’re very grateful for it.

It seems like KNTR has been closely intertwined with Redemption nearly since the beginning, so it should come as no surprise that when the Redemption group contacted our founder, PJ Haarsma, about a cameo appearance in the film, he accepted.

You’ll have to see the film to spot the cameo, but here’s a little easy practice for your peepers! Somewhere in this cast and crew photo from the second weekend of filming, you’ll find PJ.

Photo © Bart Hoffstein

Now, why do I get the feeling that group could either take over the world or cause some serious trouble? I’m not sure, but I know I can’t shake it. Speaking of trouble, you’ll want to be sure to check out Redemption for another reason too! If giving to charity, getting new Firefly goodness, and seeing our founder in a cameo isn’t enough reason for you to give this film a shot, then perhaps the mayhem our very own Terrify’n Space Monkeys got up to on set will reel you in! Yes, those pesky primates managed to infiltrate the Redemption set early on, and somehow I doubt that the cast and crew were able to keep all of them off-camera all the time. (There’s got to be a blooper reel, right?) Now, since Kids Need to Read doesn’t condone violence against Space Monkeys, we can’t show you some of the trouble these mischief-makers managed, but rest assured that they lived up to their names! Still, though, at the end of the day, as always, they managed to lull everyone back into a false sense of security with their cuteness! I can certainly understand that. Who could stay mad at a face like this for long?

Photos © Valerie Perez

Looks like that TSM has managed to win over many hearts, and I’m not worried about his future at all. With the folks at Browncoats: Redemption as his guardians, I know he won’t wreak too much havoc on this world!

After all, kind people with a mission to make the world a better place are the best parents a monkey could ask for, and Mike Dougherty, Steven Fisher, Tara Harrelson, Brian Wiser, and the rest of the cast and crew of Redemption have both kindness and idealism in spades.

So come see what they’ve been up to for the past year! If you’re heading to Dragon*Con, you’ll have a great opportunity to see the very first preview for this film (before it goes online later) at the Redemption panel! It is scheduled for 11:30 AM on Sunday, September 6th. Be sure to get your questions ready for the cast and crew and their special guest cameo man PJ Haarsma! Rumor has it that other Kids Need to Read volunteers will be on hand, as well. Don’t miss it!

Share the Post:

Related Posts

Tis the Season

Once Upon a Time… It was a dark and stormy night… This is the tale that was told to me…: Throughout history, winter has been a season rich in the tradition of storytelling, serving as a captivating blend of entertainment and education for individuals of all ages. This enduring legacy is exemplified in Beowulf, one of the oldest recorded stories, where the narrative opens with a compelling command, “Listen! we have heard of the might of the kings,”. No matter the opening line, the timeless power and importance of story and literacy is in its ability to connect generations and communities through the ages. 

Read More

With a Thankful Heart

The generous contributions from our supporters have made a significant impact on our mission, and we want to take a moment to express our heartfelt thanks.

Read More