Birds of a Feather

Written by Laura McConnell
Photograph ©Don McMillan

They say that opposites attract.  In physics and chemistry, that’s very true.  But with human beings, maybe we need to re-examine this idea.  Perhaps “like attracts like” is more accurate, at least where graphic artists are concerned.

When the charity event Can’t Stop the Serenity needed a design for their 2009 posters and tee-shirts, they put out an open call for one on the internet.  Several artists submitted their designs, but only one could win.  The winning design was created by Don McMillan.

Kids Need to Read took a page from the CSTS book and held a contest of our own recently to choose a design for our new banner and tee-shirts.  Our winner was Lindsay Coderre.

To most, it would seem that the similarity of these two people ends there, but it does not.  It seems they both have an affinity for a very special science fiction film.

LC_DM_CSTS2009_lr

Winning designers Lindsay Coderre and Don McMillan

At a recent Can’t Stop the Serenity screening in Ottawa, Ontario, Lindsay and Don met in person.  Lindsay congratulated Don on his CSTS win and Don had this to say about Lindsay’s winning design for KNTR:

I had a chance to meet Lindsay Coderre at our CSTS 2009 here in Ottawa yesterday. I congratulated her on her KNTR banner win and we posed for a photo. I didn’t realize   she had also entered a number of poster designs for the CSTS contest. She is very talented and I have no doubt your new banner will be a great hit at Dragon-Con.

What great sports these two artists are!  KNTR is grateful to both Lindsay and Don for supporting Kids Need to Read and Can’t Stop the Serenity by lending the world a bit of their talents, and for proving that birds of a feather really do flock together.

If you’re part of the Kids Need to Read flock or if you’d just like to show your support for KNTR, head on over to our CaféPress store.  You can get your very own copy of your favorite banner contest entry design on a tee-shirt and let the world know that you’re one of us, too!

Share the Post:

Related Posts

Tis the Season

Once Upon a Time… It was a dark and stormy night… This is the tale that was told to me…: Throughout history, winter has been a season rich in the tradition of storytelling, serving as a captivating blend of entertainment and education for individuals of all ages. This enduring legacy is exemplified in Beowulf, one of the oldest recorded stories, where the narrative opens with a compelling command, “Listen! we have heard of the might of the kings,”. No matter the opening line, the timeless power and importance of story and literacy is in its ability to connect generations and communities through the ages. 

Read More

With a Thankful Heart

The generous contributions from our supporters have made a significant impact on our mission, and we want to take a moment to express our heartfelt thanks.

Read More