Sometimes Freaky is a Good Thing!

The 18th Kids Need to Read Auction offers a superb package from author Robin Brande. In Robin’s first young adult novel, Evolution, Me & Other Freaks of Nature, she tells a story of science, faith, and trusting yourself. The book has been singled out for a number of recognitions, including “Best Books for Young Adults 2007” and “Fall 2007 Book Sense Children’s Pick.”

The school year starts out badly for Mena, who has been dumped by her former friends and outraged her parents and her church, all for doing what she thought was right. Life becomes even more complicated when a controversy arises over the teaching of evolution in science class. Will Mena find a way to reconcile her religious beliefs with her admiration for science? Ms. Brande tackles this timely topic with sensitivity and wit, without ever becoming preachy.

This is your chance to own a unique combination of Evolution, Me & Other Freaks of Nature items! Ms. Brande has combined a signed copy of the book, along with a special limited-edition wall/window cling based on its cover. Even more exciting, the winner will receive an actual page from Robin Brande’s personal draft manuscript, also autographed by the author. Adding a final touch of her droll humor, the admitted “coffee addict” has included a $25 Starbucks gift card!

Our great thanks to Robin for assembling this book-lovers prize! Robin is the latest author to join KNTR. She explains, “…my interest in being part of Kids Need to Read is … personal: books saved my childhood. … If I didn’t have fiction to turn to, how would I have gotten through all those stresses of my early and teen years? I want to continue living in books, and now I get to be part of passing on that pleasure to the next generation.”

Place your bids now in the comments section of this blog. Bids must be placed here to be considered. Bidding begins immediately, and opens at $30.00. This auction ends on Wednesday, January 9, 2008 at 10pm ET/ 9pm CT/ 7pm PT. The winner will be notified by PM and will have 5 days to donate the high bid directly to the Kids Need to Read website at http://kidsneedtoread.org (or you can click on “KIDSNEEDTOREAD.ORG HOME” at the top of this page. Click on “Donate Now” then click on “Make a Donation”). You’ll be sitting down for coffee and a good read shortly after your donation is received!

Kids Need to Read is the charity project founded by author PJ Haarsma and actor Nathan Fillion. Money raised through these auctions is used to purchase books for schools and libraries in need.

To quote Robin Brande, “Thank you, PJ and Nathan, for inviting me to be part of such a wonderful organization. This is work that needs to be done in the world, and I’m glad you’re doing it!”

Share the Post:

Related Posts

Tis the Season

Once Upon a Time… It was a dark and stormy night… This is the tale that was told to me…: Throughout history, winter has been a season rich in the tradition of storytelling, serving as a captivating blend of entertainment and education for individuals of all ages. This enduring legacy is exemplified in Beowulf, one of the oldest recorded stories, where the narrative opens with a compelling command, “Listen! we have heard of the might of the kings,”. No matter the opening line, the timeless power and importance of story and literacy is in its ability to connect generations and communities through the ages. 

Read More

With a Thankful Heart

The generous contributions from our supporters have made a significant impact on our mission, and we want to take a moment to express our heartfelt thanks.

Read More